Hunter Valley YHA doesn’t mess around when it comes to sustainability, and this purpose-built hostel is the perfect combo of recycled products and sustainable design. It’s only fair we boast a little:
- We’re powered by the sun! 88 solar panels are installed on roof of the hostel (24kw Photovoltaic system for the pros) .
- Solar hot water boosted by electricity for wonderfully warm washes!
- Low energy and timed lighting: no need for lights on in empty rooms
- Low energy electric heating, toasty nights that are kind to the earth
- Moisture sensors turn off the dryer when linen is dry #efficiency
- Good weather? There’s a big clothes line to dry your clothes eau-naturale
- Promotion of public transport, the easiest way to be eco-friendly
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas to recycle anything from printer cartridges or our 100% recycled paper, to tinnies of beer and plastic containers
- Eco-friendly cleaning products for shiny hostels and a happy earth
- Bulk-Buying our hostel products reduces a bunch of our packaging waste
Water Saving Measures:
- Rainwater tank on site used to flush toilets, supplement showers and laundries and water our drought-resistant gardens, hooray for water saving!
- Our toilets and showers are 5 star! Well, WELS 5 stars for water efficiency.
- Signage in bathrooms and kitchens encouraging guests to minimise water usage
- Low formaldehyde wood products and low volatile paints – no nasties here!
- Café built with 90% sustainable building supplies including many recycled items, with reusable cups and water bottles sold on site!
- The property has two dams and a creek running through it with a pathway throughout so that guests can get close to nature and enjoy the fields, waterways and wildlife.
- We love our local community, and participate in Earth Hour and Clean Up Australia Day each year alongside other businesses and community members!