Pittwater YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and being a responsible community member through a mix of conservation, community support and sustainable practices and services.
We have recently installed a solar hot water system in order to help save CO2 emissions and to generate cleaner, renewable energy.
Other initiatives include:
Energy/Greenhouse Gas Reduction:
- Passive solar building with northerly aspect
- Low energy lighting used within the hostel
- Timer / sensor activated lighting in bathrooms and common areas
- Computers turned off at night
- Promotion of public transport
- Free bike storage
- Participate in Earth Hour
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas, external areas and office areas.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans and clothing.
- All Organic kitchen waste collected and composted on site
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Participate in Clean Up Australia
Water Saving Measures:
- Onsite rainwater tank supplies all water needs of the hostel
- Dual flush toilets
- Signage in bathrooms and kitchens encouraging guests to minimise water usage
- Drought resistant gardens
- Front loader washing machines
- Provide work experience for local students
- Works with local education providers to
- Sponsor local community groups and events e.g. Sailing Club, German International School
- Organises volunteer weekends to undertake bush regeneration in the neighbouring National Park.
- Promote low impact activities such as bushwalking, sailing, kayaking.