COVID-19: Safe stay measures are being taken at all of our hostels and YHAs are following all relevant State based travel restrictions.
See our Covid page for full details.

Perth City YHA

Check in
Check out
Book with ePack

Backpacker job assistance at Perth City YHA

Looking for work? Look no further! Perth is one of the fastest growing cities in Australia so this is a great destination to find work.

Perth City YHA is the perfect place to stay and our staff is more than happy to help you with everything you need and take all the stress and worry out of finding work. We often employ travellers as housekeepers or for other jobs around the hostel, and we offer budget rates for a longer stay. We can also direct you to local employment agencies like the Job Shop that offer work for budget travellers. 

The city is busiest during Spring and Summer (September – April). There is plenty of hospitality and tourism work around during this time, with local employers often calling Perth City YHA looking for last-minute workers. 

Types of jobs available

Throughout the year different companies take workers in a variety of different industries. There are a range of jobs available, including:

  • Labouring
  • Landscape gardening
  • Café/bar work
  • Factory and
  • Call centre work

Being close to rural areas like Margaret River we can assist in finding work in harvesting or basic farm work. Most of this work counts towards your second year visa.

Type of work in rural areas

For more information about the harvest seasons and type of work available:

  • March to April - Grape picking
  • September to March - Meat factory
  • October to March - Fish farming
  • September to May - Farm work
  • August to November - Asparagus picking
  • May to June - Olive picking
  • June to September - Grape pruning
  • July to August  - Olive pruning
  • October to May - Strawberry picking
  • November to January - Cherry picking
  • December to March - Blueberry picking
  • March to May - Potato picking

Training and Qualifications

For jobs in hospitality with licensed premises you will need to get the compulsory RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) and RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gambling) certifications. A Green/White Card is needed to demonstrate safe working practices on construction sites. These qualifications typically cost less than $100 and are run as one-day courses.

Work Gear

For all jobs you will need to have your own work gear.

For hospitality jobs you should be well presented and have a set of black pants and either black or white shirt. Your employer will let you know what work attire is required.

For farm jobs you need all weather gear and sturdy shoes. Climate in the rural areas can be cool in the mornings and it generally warms up during the day. We recommend to dress in layers so you can take some clothes of if it gets too hot.

Overall food is not provided by the employer so you will have to bring your own lunch and minimum 2 litres of water.

Length of work

The length of work depends on the type of job and can range from a few days to a few months. Most employers generally prefer people that can commit for about 3 months as it saves them time and cost in constantly training new people. On average each job lasts about 2-3 months.

Stay at Perth City YHA and make new friends while you are earning money to continue your travels. 

badge image


YHA acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia. We acknowledge and pay our respects to Elders past, present, emerging and the extended Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island community.