Back to news
Vivid Sydney 2014
Vivid Sydney is taking sound and light spectaculars to a whole new level in 2014, so start planning your trip to Sydney now. The biggest international music, art and light festival in the Southern Hemisphere, Vivid Sydney runs from 23 May to 9 June 2014. Best of all it's FREE.
Award-winning backpacker hostel, Sydney Harbour YHA, is superbly placed in the historic Rocks district, with incredible views of the Vivid lights across the Harbour, Bridge, Opera House and Circular Quay from the Sydney hostel's rooftop terrace. This year, Vivid Sydney is bigger than ever before, meaning you'll need several days to make the most of the packed program of events, so take advantage of Sydney Harbour YHA's 3-night Sydney City Break package or B&B special offer.
Book your Sydney City Break Now
Vivid Sydney Highlights include:
Lighting of the Sails
Every night during Vivid from 6pm the iconic Sydney Opera House "sails" will be illuminated with an extraordinary light show with virtual projections. Designed by the award-winning creative team behind the London Olympics' Opening Ceremony and the West End show War Horse, this year's 3D projections are sure to be extraordinary.
Light Art Walk
Check out the walking trail from Circular Quay around Campbell's Cove to Walsh Bay, taking you past and through a gallery of interactive light art sculptures and impressive light installation. The sandstone facades of Customs House and the Museum of Contemporary Art will be bathed in light, with Customs House turned into a sequence of giant fantasy musical instruments.
Getting in the act in 2014, Sydney's famous ferries will be decked out in LED lights, their colours computer-controlled by satellite navigation as they pass through the world's most beautiful harbour and past the Harbour Bridge, which will be transformed into a "coat hanger of colour".
So popular last year, Darling Harbour will once again be lit up with laser light shows, dazzling water jets, and 3D projections on water screens to a musical soundtrack, in a show twice the size of last year.
For the first time, Martin Place lends its scenic strip to several Vivid installations that will include the giant Sky Flower and cutting edge eIMERGEnce which will allow people to see live video captures of their face mapped to fit a giant 3D projected head.
The Rocks Night Markets
Shop under the stars, fill your tummy, and enjoy the live music, roving performers and stunning installations of the Vivid Light Walk. Foodies will enjoy sampling the gourmet delicacies and shop-a-holics can trawl for trinkets, souvenirs or gifts from amongst the original arts, crafts, fashion, jewellery and homewares on offer.
The Vivid LIVE music program celebrates contemporary music, pushing the boundaries and your buttons with and incredible line-up of acts. Some of the most original and innovative artists from Australia and around the world will be performing premieres and one-off events during this year's program which expands into new venues, with new and bigger events than ever before including:
- Uber-hip indie-rock band The Pixies will headline with a rare series of exclusive and intimate performances.
- The Presets will join forces with the Australian Chamber Orchestra in a time-bending odyssey through 42,000 years and over 230 songs.
- "The Godfather of Electronic Dance Music", Giorgio Moroder, makes his Aussie debut with a heaving DJ set, Q&A session, and orchestral celebration of his disco-defining hits (think Daft Punk and Donna Summer) and legendary film scores (Top Gun, Scarface).
- Modulations at Carriageworks (6-8 June) brings together the best talent in music, light installations, design, food and a rare performance by electronic pop legends Pet Shop Boys, in the only Australian performances of their Electric World Tour.
- Hip hop's first lady, Grammy Award-winning soul music great, and lead singer of The Fugees, Lauryn Hill.
- Singer-songwriter Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent, will continue her chameleon-like career with her Opera House debut.
Find out more about VIVID Sydney at vividsydney.com