Australian Working Holiday Visas

  •  Grape Picking_shutterstock

    Australian Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)  

    Currently, Australia welcomes over 150,000 working holiday makers each year.   

    Australia is part of the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) visa scheme, providing opportunities for young people to holiday in Australia and supplement their travel funds through short-term employment. The visa allows a stay of up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia, regardless of whether or not you spend the whole time in Australia. 

    Australia has reciprocal working holiday arrangements with 19 countries. Applicants from those countries aged 18-30 years who hold a valid passport are eligible to apply for a Working Holiday visa in Australia.

    People from Belgium, Canada, the Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom are eligible for the Australian Working Holiday Visa. 

    Working holiday makers are permitted to undertake casual or temporary work for no longer than 6 months with any one employer. 

    The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has further information about the WHM scheme, including how to apply online.

    Australian Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) 

    Australian Work and Holiday Visas may be available for tertiary-educated people from Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA. 

    These visas provide similar opportunities to the WHM visa scheme, but have different requirements. 

    Please note that residents from the USA are exempt from the tertiary education requirement. 

    The DIAC website has further information on how to apply for a Work and Holiday Visa.

    Student Visas 

    Alternatively, if you plan to undertake study while in Australia, DIAC has a range of Student Visas available, depending on the type of study to be undertaken. 

    Second Working Holiday Visa 

    Loved your time in Australia and want to stay longer? A second working holiday visa may be available to people who have completed three (3) months of specified work in a regional area as defined by DIAC. View all postcodes classified as regional Australia.  

    Further Reading also has information about setting up a bank account for working holiday visa holders, getting your tax back on an Australian working holiday visa/help with your tax return and employer expectations, including resumes/CVs.