Tourist and Business Visa Requirements

  • Australian Passports & map

    Australian Visa Requirements

    Before you begin your trip, check the visa requirements. All travellers to Australia need a valid passport and everyone (except travellers with Australian or New Zealand passports) requires an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or visa to enter Australia. You must hold an ETA or visa before travelling to Australia.

    ETAs & E-Visas

    An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian Visa Office to submit an application. ETAs are issued for short-stay tourists and short-stay business travellers to Australia. All other travellers, including working holidaymakers, students and long-stay tourists must carry a visa.

    To make it easy for you, the Australian Government has made it possible to arrange ETAs and several e-visa categories via the Internet - no application forms and no contact with an Australian Visa Office is necessary.

    Who can access an ETA?

    • Travellers from Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and the United States
    • Short-stay tourists, maximum three (3) months stay, and multiple entry within 12 months
    • Short-stay business travellers, maximum three (3) months stay, and multiple entry within 12 months

    To apply for an Internet ETA you will need a current valid passport for each traveller and a valid credit card. Your application will be processed whilst you are online and the ETA is issued electronically within seconds. You will be informed of the result of your application before you leave the Internet ETA system.

    Apply Now

  • Who needs to get a visa?

    • European Union passport holders intending to visit Australia must apply for an e-Visa
    • Stays longer than three (3) months
    • Multiple visits by business travellers, longer than three (3) months
    • Those intending to stay permanently in Australia
    • Those seeking to work in Australia
    • Students
    • Citizen of non-ETA eligible nations

    You may be eligible to apply for an e-visa via the Internet or alternatively, you may need to apply for a visa through an Australian Visa Office, or by contacting your travel agent or any specialist service provider.

    More Information

    Visa Offices Worldwide

    These offices provide visa and immigration-related services including:

    • The issue of visas for travel and entry to Australia,
    • Information about the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and
    • Australian Citizenship services.

    Find an Australian Visa Office

    While every effort has been made to ensure correct information, YHA Australia does not take responsibility for any errors or omissions or any loss, injury or inconvenience suffered by any person resulting from information published on this site.