Hervey Bay YHA
Hervey Bay backpacker hostel is the closest point to the most sought after locations on Fraser Island. See the world's largest sand island from the air on a scenic flight or take a day tour or overnight 4WD trip. Other highlights include world renowned whale watching (July-Nov), the beautiful esplanade and stunning beaches.
For activities on a budget, visit the nearby Botanical Gardens and join a guided Indigenous bush tucker walk or swim with sharks and turtles at the water front aquarium.
The hostel features a bar and eatery on site. Other nightlife in town is located close by for backpackers' convenience.
Free hostel activities
Tennis courts, basketball, table tennis, swimming, darts
Free pool tournaments
Pool/Billiards knock out tournaments to win a prize
- Visit Riverheads and watch the dolphins in their natural habitat as they play in the leaving tides.
- Walk one of Australia’s top 7 longest piers (868 metres in length). Grab your fishing rod or watch the locals catch weird, wonderful and huge sea-life.
- See the spectacular 12 metre high sculpture of ‘Nala’ the Humpback Whale; Hervey Bay's iconic whale located right outside the discovery sphere.
- See an East coast sunset over and into the sea from Point Vernon peninsula.
- Take a drive and a picnic to Lake Lenthall or take your 4WD vehicle to Mount Walsh National Park near Biggenden for beautiful fish filled billabongs at Eel creek, or alternatively some radical 4WD action.
- Watch bands at Hoolihans Irish bar or the Beach Hotel.
- Visit Maryborough’s ‘Mary Poppins’ festival. Maryborough was the birthplace of Pamela Lyndon Travers author of childrens classic ‘Mary Poppins’.
- Pack your lunch and take a stroll through the nearby Botanical Gardens.