Booking Terms & Conditions
1. Confirmation and payments
Bookings will be confirmed in real-time and your credit card debited for the full cost of the booking. Any extra charges, (eg key deposit) are payable upon arrival at the hostel.
Please note that for multi-share bookings made less than 72 hours before arrival for more than 1 person we will try to place everyone into the same room - but this cannot be guaranteed.
2. Arrival & Staying
Check the opening hours of the individual hostel's reception, especially if you are planning to arrive early in the morning or late at night. All guests are required to provide photo ID when checking in. You confirm that you will comply to the Guest Code of Conduct throughout your stay.
YHA hostels provide short-term accommodation for travellers, and length of stay at a YHA hostel is generally limited to 14 days. Should you wish to stay longer than 14 days at a particular hostel, you may request this with hostel management. Any approvals of extensions are at the sole discretion of hostel management and may vary from hostel to hostel. Once you have stayed 14 nights at a hostel, you may be unable to return to this hostel for up to 90 days. YHA hostels are not suitable for long-term or permanent accommodation, and management reserves the right to refuse accommodation if guests are found to be using YHA hostels for this purpose.
- If you are not already a member of YHA Australia, membership will be included as part of your first night’s stay
- If you are an Australian resident, your membership is valid for 2 years from the month that you stay at your first YHA hostel in Australia. Your membership will renew automatically, unless you have not stayed in a YHA hostel in the past 24 months and have unsubscribed from all electronic communications.|
- If you are not an Australian resident, your membership is valid for 2 years from the month that you stay at your first YHA hostel in Australia.
Guests aged 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 21 and are required to stay in private rooms. Children under the age of 2 may stay for free. Some hostels cannot accommodate young children, please check with the hostel before making an online booking
If you are 17, you can stay unaccompanied if you have a letter from your parent or guardian that states they are aware you are staying at the hostel and that the hostel will not supervise your activities. 17 year old guests are required to pay the adult rate.
5. Wheelchair access
Only some hostels are suitable for wheelchair access. Please check the hostel information or contact the individual hostel directly before making an online booking.
In most cases*, if you cancel a confirmed booking giving:
Saver (Non Refundable Rate) Bookings
Less than 24 hours notice:
We regret that the $1 contribution to the Sustainable Hostel Fund cannot be refunded.
* If you booked using an epack, special deal, package or booked a stay during a peak period or with a minimum nights' stay, please check the specific terms and conditions of the individual product. Some of these may be non-refundable or have other individual conditions. Special conditions apply for all bookings at Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon YHAs (72 hours cancellation notice required). Conditions also apply at Thredbo YHA during ski season and Sydney hostels over New Years Eve. Please refer to the information sheet provided on the hostel details page. Explore properties may have their own individual cancellation conditions.
To cancel an epack booking you must contact the hostel directly and if your booking is within 24 hours you will be charged one epack night.
Please allow at least seven days for processing a refund.
YHA Privacy Statement
Last updated 19th June 2019