Tiwi Islands Aboriginal Cultural Day Tour
Begin your journey to Tiwi Island with a scenic ferry ride before joining a local guide who will take you on a journey through the fascinating lifestyles of the Tiwi Island's people. Visit a museum with displays of traditional indigenous art and depictions of the Tiwi 'Dreamtime' stories, a unique Tiwi style Catholic Church, arts and crafts centres and enjoy some billy tea and damper with some Tiwi ladies for morning tea.
Locals will demonstrate totem dancing and will perform a smoking ceremony, before you head out on a scenic drive through the Bathurst Island wilderness. As if you haven't already learnt enough about this amazing community, you will also learn about traditional bush tucker and bush medicines to complete your visit to the Tiwi Islands.
- Bathurst Island - Take a 2½-hour ferry ride from Darwin aboard Tiwi Mantawi.
- Wurrumiyanga - Join a local guide for a journey through this progressive modern community.
- Visiting sites - Tiwi Museum with its interesting displays of traditional art and depictions of Tiwi Dreamtime stories, and Early Mission Precinct with its unique Tiwi-style Catholic Church.
- Tiwi ladies - Spend time with some of them while they weave and paint.
- Smoking Ceremony - See your guides and the ladies perform this to bless their visitors, and demonstrate totem dances and explain the meaning behind them.
- Lunch - Sample local billy tea and damper with your lunch.
- Arts & Crafts Centres - Visit the centres and see where the artists work.
- Arts & crafts at island prices - You can purchase these including screen-printed fabric.
- Return to Darwin - Depart Bathurst Island for Darwin by ferry at 3.15pm.