- Australian Hostels
- Travel & Tours
1. Explore Kings Park and Botanic Gardens and walk through the tree tops while looking out over the city of Perth. Free guided tours are also available.
2. Head to Elizabeth Quay and cycle or walk the riverside trail or wander through the one and a half hectares of gardens that run along the Swan River.
3. Hit the beach! Perth is home to the famous Cottesloe and Scarborough beaches with white sand and crystal blue water. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!
4. The City of Perth runs daily free walking tours. Go on an orientation tour to get your bearings or try out one of their four themed tours to see Perth from a different angle.
5. Northbridge Piazza runs free activities throughout the year. Watch cricket games or movies on the big screen or start your day with some yoga and Tai Chi. Check out their website for a list of events and activities.
6. Visit the Perth Cultural Centre, the home of the Western Australian Museum, the State Library of Western Australia, the Art Gallery of Western Australia and the Perth Institute of Contemporary Art – they all have free entry!
7. Jump in your car and go for a short drive south of Perth to Shoalwater Islands Marine Park where you can dive, swim, snorkel, fish and surf in the gorgeous waters and spot penguins, sea lions and dolphins!
8. Spend the day in the Swan Valley visiting wineries and food producers for free samples of the amazing food and wine produced in the region.
9. September to November is wildflower season in Perth where wildflowers bloom along the urban and coastal walking trails. Spot different types of wildflowers and learn about Perth’s flora.
10. Perth and the surrounding suburbs are chock-a-block full of markets that are great to window shop! There are farmers markets, street art markets, community markets, weekend markets and even night markets.
11. Immerse yourself in nature. Perth is surrounded by a large number of national and marine parks where you can hike, swim and animal watch. Some parks do have entry fees, so make sure you check this websitebefore you go.
12. LOL, a lot! Head to Defectors Bar at 9pm on a Sunday to giggle, chortle and cry with laughter for free. There’s also free live music from 6:30pm if you want to get there early.
13. Go wildlife watching! Head to Heirisson Island to look out for kangaroos at dusk and dawn, spot native black swans floating along the river or keep an eye out for the thousands of different species of birds that inhabit Perth’s urban and national parks.
14. Head out to the airport to the brand new outdoor airport viewing platform to watch planes take off and land and ponder where each plane is going.
15. Visit the Aboriginal Art Gallery at Kings Park. Immerse yourself in Indigenous culture, wander through the gallery, meet and talk to Aboriginal artists and observe them as they work.
16. Politics junkies can sit in the stands and watch the parliamentary proceedings from up high at the Parliament of Western Australia.
17. Watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean. Head to a beach and relax on the sand while the sun sets, the water sparkles and the sky change from blue to orange and every other colour in between.
18. Spend the day in gorgeous Fremantle. It’s 30 minutes south of Perth and is full of rich convict history, cute hip cafes, bars with live music, stunning beaches and the famous Fremantle markets. Plus beer aficionados can take a free tour of the Little Creatures Brewery.
19. Get your groove on at Danza Loca in Northbridge – they offer free introductory salsa and Kizomba classes and free social dancing afterwards so you can dance the night away. Check their website for days and locations.
20. Learn something new at the University of WA – they run free public lectures on a variety of topics throughout the year, so if you feel like you need to use your brain, register and go along.
21. Need a running buddy? Lululemon Perth City store has a run collective – a social running movement that welcomes runners of all levels, pacing and distance. Sessions are held every Tuesday and Thursday from 5.45pm.