There is zero-tolerance for disrespectful, rude, abusive, or inappropriate behaviour or behaviour that makes our YHA team members or other guests feel uncomfortable.
YHA properties are open for all travellers, regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political persuasion and physical or mental impairment. All guests staying in YHA properties are expected to behave in a manner that does not prevent other guests from enjoying their stay. The expected behaviour by guests is classified into the criteria below and these comprise the YHA House Rules (previously referred to as the Guest Code of Conduct).
During the global Covid-19 Pandemic YHA also requires guests to adhere to any government regulations regarding social distancing and other health directives listed in Your Safe Stay. Failure to do so will result in your eviction.
As you will be sharing property facilities and perhaps a room with other guests, you will always treat other guests with respect, allowing them the quiet enjoyment of our facilities and services. YHA will not accept:
- any form of harassment or causing our employees or other guests to feel uncomfortable and/or unsafe
- aggressive behaviour, verbal abuse or any form of intimidation
- guests with a notifiable, infectious disease that could present a health and safety risk to others
- excessive noise
- excessive consumption of alcohol and/or being under the influence of illegal substances
- anti-social or disruptive behaviour
- poor personal hygiene likely to cause offense
- the filming or photographing of any person on YHA premises without their consent
- guests allowing an unauthorised person to access guest only areas of the property
No guest shall undertake any unlawful activity on YHA premises and YHA may notify the police of any such activity. This would include:
- any breach of a public health order
- wilful damage to YHA property or the property of others
- theft of personal belongings, including labelled food left in guest kitchens
- smoking and/or vaping in a non-smoking area
- interference with property fire protection measures.
To operate effectively for all guests, YHA properties have a range of operational procedures which all guests are expected to follow. These include:
- presenting photo identification at check-in
- allow us to take a photo of you to store on your profile
- adhering to checkout times
- YHA properties are not suitable for long-term or permanent accommodation and the maximum length of stay is 14 days
- accepting liability to provide compensation for any damages or costs incurred by YHA as a result of their direct actions, including activation of the fire alarm
- payment in advance for accommodation which must be made by the guest
- taking reasonable care of your own health and safety and not acting in a way that jeopardises others' health and safety
- we will not be able to accommodate someone whose care would place an unreasonable burden on staff or other guests
At times, the property team members may be required to issue further instructions to guests. YHA guests are expected to comply with any reasonable request made by the property team. Aggressive and/or threatening behaviour towards YHA team members will not be tolerated.
Failure to follow these House Rules may result in the following:
- the manager requesting the guest to leave the premises
- suspension of YHA membership and refusal of entry to other YHA properties.
For additional information regarding YHA’s booking conditions please see booking terms and conditions.
This document was formerly known as and referred to as YHAs "Guest Code of Conduct".
YHA's "House Rules" and "Guest Code of Conduct" are one and the same document, and can be referred to by either title.
Last updated 2nd June 2023