At Melbourne Metro YHA, we’re fully committed to sustainable initiatives and practices and being a responsible, active member of the community. Rest easy each night knowing you’ve chosen one of the most earth-friendly accommodation options in the city.
If you’re looking a way to reduce your footprint as you explore bustling and vibrant Melbourne, book your stay with Melbourne Metro YHA and get involved in their sustainability projects.
- Solar hot water system: nearly half our hot water is sunshine powered!
- Low energy and timed lighting: no need for lights on in empty rooms
- Encouraging public transport: Free tram zone? Yes please!
- Bike rentals: save your bus money for a beer
- Keep cups for sale: Ditch single-use coffee cups and buy a swanky keep cup on-site (which will also earn you a handy discount in the café!)
- Co-mingled recycling system: There’s one on each level – no excuses!
- Dedicated area for unwanted items to be reused: If you don’t want something anymore, leave it with us!
- Donating old linen: Snooze happily in your cosy sheets – one day, they’ll be keeping dogs warm at the North Melbourne Lost Dogs Home or Vision Australia
- Composting: Some of your food scraps will be composted, producing a rich fertiliser for the on-site herb garden which all guests are welcome to use
Water Saving Measures:
- Front-loaders: Is it laundry day? Don’t worry - all washing machines are front loading and energy efficient
- Dual-flush toilets: All toilets are dual-flush, of course!
- Reusable water bottles for sale: Don’t let the staff catch you bringing single-use water bottles on the premises – instead, use the filtered water fountain available and buy a nifty stainless steel water at the hostel
- Plastic water bottle tower: You may not think your one plastic water bottle has an impact, but you’ll soon learn otherwise! Our water bottle project will tell you how
- Dinner for a donation: On Monday nights, we will cook you dinner for a gold coin donation, which goes to a different charity every week
- Educational documentaries: After dinner, enjoy sustainable documentary night (free popcorn included!)
- Penguin habitat restoration: We love penguins so much, you can join us on a monthly penguin habitat restoration program at St Kilda Pier
- WGAC toilet paper: Who Gives a Crap? We do! WGAC toilet paper is used throughout the hostel – 50 per cent of the profits go towards building toilets in developing countries
- Regular beach and street clean-ups: Leave Melbourne with that warm and fuzzy feeling you only get from doing good deeds!