YHA Membership - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I have to be an Australian resident to apply for a YHA membership?
No, you don’t have to be an Australian resident to apply for YHA membership.
2. I’m not from Australia, can I apply?
Yes, absolutely! You have two options if applying for YHA membership as an International Member –
a. Online: You can add the membership to your online hostel booking and simply pick up the membership card when you arrive at your first YHA hostel. To do this, tick ‘Join YHA now’ under Guest Information and the cost of your membership will be added to your booking.
b. In person: You can simply pay for and receive your membership card in person at any YHA hostel.
3. Do I have to be a member to stay at YHA?
No, you don’t have to be a member to stay at YHA. However, YHA members enjoy exclusive deals and at least 10% off all hostel bookings: https://wwwyha.yha.com.au/membership/discounts/
4. Can I book rooms with YHA member rates if I haven’t received my membership card yet?
Yes, you can! A membership card must be presented at check-in. If you haven’t purchased your membership as part of the booking then you will be asked to purchase it in person at the reception desk. Otherwise you will need to pay the difference between member rates and standard rates for rooms booked.
5. How long will my membership card take to arrive in the post?
Your membership card will be sent via Australia Post. Please allow 5-7 working days for delivery Australia wide.
6. I am travelling with a few friends, do we all need to have YHA membership to book rooms with YHA member rates?
If you and your friends are booking dorm / share rooms then yes, all of you will need to have valid YHA membership to take advantage of member rates. Remember, each of you will be asked to present your membership card at check-in so don’t forget to pack it!
If you are booking a private / family room then no, this room is paid for as a whole and as such only one YHA membership is required.
7. I have a Hostelling International (HI) membership from my own country, can I use this to book with YHA member rates?
Absolutely! Your Hostelling International (HI) membership card is valid in Australia and can be used to book YHA rooms at member rates and take advantage of YHA member discounts.
8. What about booking through another website - will I receive member rates?
Unfortunately not. If you choose to book through a third party website you will not be able to receive discounted member rates.
If you have any other questions, please email email@example.com.