- Accommodation for 5 nights
- National Park entry fees
- Guided walks and free walking options
- Entry to wildlife sanctuary to see Tasmanian Devils
- Port Arthur Historic Site entry and harbour cruise
- Pick-ups and drop-offs at selected Hobart CBD locations. Airport Drop offs also available on request
- Additional activity options available (at own expense): Gordon River cruise
6 Day Tasmania Explorer Tour
- Salamanca Markets, Tasmanian Devils, Port Arthur Historic Site, Tasman Peninsula
- Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, Cape Tourville
- Bay of Fires, St Helens, Bicheno, St Columba Falls
- Cradle Mountain, Sheffield, Launceston, Cataract Gorge
- Henty Dunes, Tarkine Rainforest, Montezuma Falls, Strahan
- Queenstown, Lake St Clair, Russell Falls, Mt Field National Park
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
SALAMANCA MARKETS, TASMANIAN DEVILS & PORT ARTHUR HISTORIC SITE
We begin by exploring the famous Salamanca Markets in Hobart/nipaluna. At this bustling outdoor market, you can buy hand-made Tasmanian goods like jewellery, art, and woodwork. Explore the local crafts on offer while enjoying the buskers and music. You’ll also want to sample a range of fresh seasonal produce and gourmet foods. As we make our way onto the Tasman Peninsula/turrakana, we’ll visit a wildlife sanctuary to meet native wildlife including 2 Tasmanian devils. At Port Arthur Historic Site, imagine the harsh convict life of the early 1800’s as you walk amongst the preserved ruins. This open-air museum is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and represents Australia’s best preserved convict settlement. Today we’ll also experience the dramatic coastal scenery of Tasman National Park which has the tallest coastal sea cliffs in Australia. You’ll see the geological wonders of Tasman Arch and the Devil’s Kitchen before returning to Hobart where you can enjoy a night exploring the city at your leisure.
Overnight | Hobart
FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK > BICHENO
Departing Hobart along the Great Eastern Drive, our destination is Freycinet National Park on the East Coast. This fabulous park has pristine beaches and a stunning pink granite mountain range known as The Hazards. Climb to the summit of Mt Amos or join the walk to Wineglass Bay lookout. Or you may wish to continue to Wineglass Bay beach to walk along the edge of the translucent waters. At Cape Tourville Lighthouse you’ll love the panoramic vistas across the coast. We’ll spend the night in the coastal town of Bicheno, where little penguins emerge from the sea at night time.
Overnight | Bicheno
BAY OF FIRES > LAUNCESTON
Today we’ll continue to explore the captivating East Coast of Tasmania. The Bay of Fires/larapuna is a place with profound cultural significance to Tasmanian aboriginal people (palawa). You’ll love walking along the long stretches of dazzling white sands with its shimmering turquoise waters and lichen clad boulders. We’ll enjoy lunch in the fishing town of St Helens then make our way to Launceston via the lush Northeast region of Tasmania. One of the terrific experiences along this route include seeing the giant tree ferns at St Columba Falls. Lastly, we’ll check out the lovely Cataract Gorge in the heart of Launceston before settling in for the night in Tasmania’s second largest city.
Overnight | Launceston
CRADLE MOUNTAIN > STRAHAN
Leaving Launceston, a short drive takes us through Sheffield, the ‘Town of Murals’ and then onto Tasmania’s most famous alpine national park, Cradle Mountain. Cradle is home to an abundance of wildlife such as wombats and echidnas. Choose from a variety of incredible walks; the Dove Lake circuit is likely the best short walk in Tasmania, while the challenging walk to the summit of Marion’s Lookout offers unmatched views of the glacial carved wilderness. Easier options today include a stroll along Ronny Creek or down to the Boatshed. Departing Cradle, we travel to the harbourside village of Strahan on the West Coast, our accommodation for the next two nights.
Overnight | Strahan
WILD WEST COAST
Today’s playground is the untouched wilderness of Tasmania’s West Coast. Walk in the rainforests of the
Tarkine/takayna to reach Tasmania’s highest waterfall, Montezuma Falls. You’ll also explore the enormous Henty Sand Dunes which stretch for kilometres along the coast. Alternatively, today you have the option of cruising the wildly beautiful Gordon River (own cost) which ventures deep into the World Heritage Area. Later at the windswept Ocean Beach, you can breathe the world’s freshest air. Back in Strahan, our guide can help you look for platypus.
Overnight | Strahan
STRAHAN > HOBART
Buttongrass plains, mountains, waterfalls, rainforest, and pioneer history are some of today’s highlights. Departing Strahan, we’ll visit the moonscape of Queenstown, a mining town with a fascinating history. We then travel through the Tasmanian World Heritage Area via the pristine Franklin-Gordon Wild River National Park. We’ll also stop at Australia’s deepest freshwater lake, Lake St Clair. Our final walk for the tour will be enjoyed at Mt Field National Park, to stroll beneath some of the world’s tallest trees and observe the beautiful Russell Falls. We continue our drive through the Derwent Valley, returning to Hobart and bidding farewell to your travel companions and your incredible adventure.
This tour offers hostel and motel style accommodation options.
- Motel style accommodations are based on private rooms with ensuite facilities.
- If booking Twin or Double accommodation options, a minimum of 2 persons is required. We are unable to match up single travellers into a Twin share option.
- Hostel Dorm style accommodation is based on same gender dormitory rooms with shared same-gender
bathrooms. Own toiletries and towels are required.
- Hostel Twin/Double and Single rooms have shared same-gender bathrooms.
Tour Only: from $1095.00 (correct as at August 2023 - subject to change)
Pre and post tour accommmodation at YHA Hobart Central is available as an additional cost.
Things You Should Know
What you need to bring:
- Walking Shoes
- Outer wear/ clothing for all climates.
- Rain jacket
- Insect repellent
- The walking in Tasmania is world-class, and we’ve selected beautiful walking experiences for our guests (we include many of the 60-great-short-walks of Tasmania)
- Some walks are guided, while others are unguided (free walking)
- In many locations there is a choice between an easier or more advanced option
- Essentially, you can make this as active or as easy as you like; all walks are optional and range from 20 minutes up to 4 hours
Luggage Limit is 20kg per person. Bring a day pack for essentials.
Cancellations (Fees applied by YHA):
You may be charged the following fees if you cancel your booking before departure:
- 30 days or more: 25% of fare.
- 8 to 29 days: 50% of fare.
- 0 to 7 days: 100% of fare.
- Fees up to $100 may be charged for booking amendments.
Operator Terms and Conditions:
- Acceptance of booking and payments
If we accept your booking, we will issue you with a booking confirmation notice by email. Full payment is required at the time of booking. A contract will exist between you and us from the date we issue the confirmation notice and receipt of your payment.
- Booking changes
If you require a change to your booking, no fees will be charged if changes are made 21 days or more prior to departure. Changes within 21 days of departure are only permitted when operationally possible and fees of up to $95 per amendment may be charged.
- Cancellations by You
We strongly advise you to take out travel insurance which includes cover for cancellation costs.
If you cancel some or all portions of your booking the cancellation terms set out below will apply.
If you cancel a booking:
- 21 days or more prior to departure, we will charge 25% of the total booking amount.
- Within 8 to 20 days prior to departure, we will charge 50% of the booking amount.
- 7 days or fewer prior to departure or no show, we will charge 100% of the booking amount.
- Mt Wellington Descent tour only- we may at our absolute discretion charge the following fees: within 7 Days- 25%, within 48 to 24 hours- 50%, or within 24 hours or no show- 100% of booking amount.
If you cancel a booking due to COVID-19:
- Within 7 days of departure and due to you having COVID-19 or symptoms and supported by a medical certificate, or due to border closures inhibiting your ability to travel, we will refund monies paid by you in connection with the booking less any unrecoverable costs.
No refund will be made if: you are not present at your tour’s department time; you join the tour after departure; you leave the tour prior to its completion for any reason; or, you fail to comply with Tasmanian border entry conditions at the time of arrival in Tasmania.
- Cancellations by Us
If we cancel your tour, you can transfer the fare paid towards a tour on an alternate date or alternatively receive a full refund. Refunds will be provided where required by Australian Consumer Law.
In circumstances where a cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance excess or non-refundable flights.
- Itinerary and Price Changes
We reserve the right in our absolute discretion at all times to amend itineraries, inclusions and prices and where necessary cancel departures due to operational reasons, minimum number restrictions or weather conditions. Please note that minimum numbers restrictions apply for all tour departures. If an amendment as aforementioned is to take place, we will try to provide you with reasonable notice.
- Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is NOT INCLUDED in the cost of your tour. It is strongly recommended that you have personal travel insurance sufficient to cover loss or damage to property, illness, injury, or not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure. We are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage, for any injury or loss of any type while on tour.
We are not responsible for any damage, expense or inconvenience caused by late arrival of flights or public transport, change of schedule, strikes, vehicle breakdown, acts of God, or other conditions. We reserve the right to alter the itinerary should it be deemed necessary. We act solely as an agent in securing accommodation and, where applicable, public transport or other services, and are not liable for any loss or inconvenience in the event of any failure by any person or company to render transportation, accommodation or other services.
- Health and Safety
You acknowledge that the nature of the tour is adventure travel and participation involves a degree of personal risk. You agree to advise us prior to commencement of any tour of any pre-existing medical conditions you have which may affect your ability to participate in any part of the tour or other information we need to know to include you safely in the tour or activity. We reserve the right to withdraw any person who in our opinion is likely to endanger themselves or others. We also reserve the right to cancel the day’s touring if we become concerned for any reason for your safety or that of any other person. To the extent permitted by law, all our liability for disruption to travel plans or mental injury is excluded.
- Age and Physical Requirements
A traveller must be minimum age of 8 years at the time of the tour to participate. We have no upper age limit though we remind you our tours can be physically demanding and we expect you to have a reasonable level of fitness and act responsibly to ensure your own safety and the safety of others at all times. Our tours have a component of free walking, all of which is done at your own risk. All travellers under the age of 18 years at time of the tour must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by a responsible escort over the age of 18 years, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or escort of any traveller under the age of 18 years will be responsible for the day-to-day care of travellers in their charge. A legal guardian may apply for an exemption to the age requirements. This application must be made in writing to us and we reserve the right to make any determination in our absolute discretion.
- Optional Activities
Optional activities, as described in the itinerary, are at your own expense, are not included in the price of the tour and do not form part of these terms and conditions. You accept that any assistance given by your guide or any other member of our staff in arranging optional activities does not render us liable for them in any way. The contract for the provision of that activity will be between you and activity provider.