Things to do in Canberra City YHA
Canberra City YHA is the perfect base to explore Australia's capital and its many free attractions. Visit the National Museum of Australia, Australian War Memorial, Parliament House, and Questacon. Walk or picnic beside Lake Burley Griffin, and enjoy views from Telstra Tower or Mount Ainslie. Canberra plays host to plenty of festivals during the year, including Floriade, Multicultural Festival, Balloon Fiesta, and International Film Festival.
FREE things to do in Canberra
- Visit National Museum of Australia and learn about Australia's social history, exploring the key issues, people and events that have shaped this country.
- Hike up Mt. Anslie (30 min from War Memorial) to see what a planned city looks like from above. You can spot the kangaroos at sunset and sunrise as well.
- Take a tour at the Australian Parliament House and observe democracy in action. Free tours run about 5 times a day, don’t forget to visit the roof top before you leave.
- Attend the Last Post Ceremony at the Australian War Memorial and listen to the stories about Australian soldiers.
- Be inspired by a large collection of Australian aboriginal art works at the National Art Gallery.
- Visit the Old Bus Depot Market on Sunday and taste all the free sample that is available. If you are lucky, that could be your lunch.
- The closest bus stop is just around the corner from the hostel outside Canberra Museum and Gallery.