- Accommodation for 4 nights
- Guided commentary
- Guided walks and free walking options
- National Park entry fees
- Pick-ups and drop-offs at selected Hobart CBD locations
- Airport Drop offs also available on request
- Additional activity options available (at own expense): Gordon River cruise
Famous 5 - 5 Day Tasmania Adventure Tour
Escape into Tasmania’s pristine wilderness as we travel coast to coast and experience the best of the island over five days. The five day tour of Tasmania starts by heading to the wild West Coast for waterfalls, rainforests, and wildlife. You’ll discover the startling changes of scenery in the alpine wilderness of Cradle Mountain, and the pristine sands of Tasmania’s East Coast, at the Bay of Fires, Wineglass Bay, and Freycinet National Park. Eco-certified and active, this small group tour of Tasmania offers a diversity of outstanding short walks in National Parks to suit your fitness level.
- Russell Falls, Mount Field National Park, Lake St Clair
- Tarkine Rainforest, Montezuma Falls, Henty Dunes, Strahan
- Cradle Mountain, Sheffield, Launceston, Cataract Gorge
- Bay of Fires, St Columba Falls, St Helens, Bicheno
- Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, Cape Tourville
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
HOBART > STRAHAN
Our tour of Tasmania/lutruwita takes us first to the wild West Coast, with a few beautiful short walks throughout the day. Today we’ll experience three National Parks, beginning with Mount Field and its wondrous Russell Falls and some of the world’s tallest trees. Stand on the shore of Lake St Clair (Australia’s deepest freshwater lake) which forms part of the Cradle Mountain–Lake St Clair National Park. As we travel west, you’ll be immersed in magnificent wild scenery, flanked by mountains, buttongrass plains and rainforests of the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. We’ll stop at Queenstown to learn about Tasmania’s pioneer history, before settling into our accommodations in the harbourside village of Strahan. We spend two nights in Strahan and with luck our guides can help you find platypus.
Overnight | Strahan
WILD WEST COAST
Walk to Montezuma Falls, hidden within the ancient temperate rainforests of the Tarkine/takayna. We’ll return to the coast and explore the enormous Henty Sand Dunes. Or, today you might like to enjoy the optional Gordon River Cruise (own cost) which explores Macquarie Harbour and into the World Heritage Area. Later, we’ll check out the windswept Ocean Beach, Tasmania’s longest stretch of sand, and breathe the freshest air in the world.
Overnight | Strahan
CRADLE MOUNTAIN > LAUNCESTON
Today you’ll see why Cradle Mountain National Park is a world-class hiking destination. Deep within the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, this glacial carved landscape is filled with wildlife. We’ll look for wombats at Ronny Creek, then you can choose from several walking options to explore the alpine environment. Will you climb to the summit of Marion’s Lookout? Or perhaps you’ll choose to walk along the magical Dove Lake Circuit. We’ll then depart for Sheffield, the Town of Murals, before reaching one of Australia’s oldest cities, Launceston.
Overnight | Launceston
LAUNCESTON > BICHENO
Explore Launceston’s beautiful Cataract Gorge. We’ll enjoy a short walk within this nature reserve only minutes from the city centre and keep our eye out for wallabies. Then, we’ll take a scenic drive to the East Coast via St Columba Falls to see gigantic tree ferns. After lunch at St Helens, it’s time to walk along Tasmania’s best beaches, including the pristine sands and turquoise waters of the Bay of Fires/larapuna. Learn about the cultural significance of larapuna for Tasmanian aboriginal people/palawa. We will take our time enjoying the breathtaking coastal scenery before making our way down to the relaxed township of Bicheno, home of the little penguin.
Overnight | Bicheno
FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK > HOBART
Today is dedicated to exploring the exquisite Freycinet National Park. Relax on a powder white-sand beach, walk to the Wineglass Bay beach or lookout. Alternatively, you may prefer the more challenging climb to the top of Mt Amos. From the summit you can enjoy panoramic vistas over Freycinet’s pink granite mountains, secluded coves, and coastal bushlands. We’ll look out over the Tasman Sea from the lighthouse at Cape Tourville, before following the Great Eastern Drive to Hobart/nipaluna where your tour of Tasmania comes to an end.
This tour offers hostel and motel style accommodation options.
- Motel style accommodations are based on private rooms with ensuite facilities
- If booking Twin or Double accommodation options, a minimum of 2 persons is required. We are unable to match up single travellers into a Twin share option
- Hostel Dorm style accommodation is based on same gender dormitory rooms with shared same-gender bathrooms. Own toiletries and towels are required
- Hostel Twin/Double and Single rooms have shared same-gender bathrooms
Tour Only: from $875.00 (correct as at August 2023 - subject to change)
Pre and post tour accommmodation at YHA Hobart Central is available as an additional cost.
Things You Should Know
What you need to bring:
- Walking Shoes
- Outer wear/ clothing for all climates.
- Rain jacket
- Insect repellent
- The walking in Tasmania is world-class, and we’ve selected beautiful walking experiences for our guests (we include many of the 60-great-short-walks of Tasmania)
- Some walks are guided, while others are unguided (free walking)
- In many locations there is a choice between an easier or more advanced option
- Essentially, you can make this as active or as easy as you like; all walks are optional and range from 20 minutes up to 4 hours
Luggage Limit is 20kg per person. Bring a day pack for essentials.
Cancellations (Fees applied by YHA):
You may be charged the following fees if you cancel your booking before departure:
- 30 days or more: 25% of fare.
- 8 to 29 days: 50% of fare.
- 0 to 7 days: 100% of fare.
- Fees up to $100 may be charged for booking amendments.
Operator Terms and Conditions:
- Acceptance of booking and payments
If we accept your booking, we will issue you with a booking confirmation notice by email. Full payment is required at the time of booking. A contract will exist between you and us from the date we issue the confirmation notice and receipt of your payment.
- Booking changes
If you require a change to your booking, no fees will be charged if changes are made 21 days or more prior to departure. Changes within 21 days of departure are only permitted when operationally possible and fees of up to $95 per amendment may be charged.
- Cancellations by You
We strongly advise you to take out travel insurance which includes cover for cancellation costs.
If you cancel some or all portions of your booking the cancellation terms set out below will apply.
If you cancel a booking:
- 21 days or more prior to departure, we will charge 25% of the total booking amount.
- Within 8 to 20 days prior to departure, we will charge 50% of the booking amount.
- 7 days or fewer prior to departure or no show, we will charge 100% of the booking amount.
- Mt Wellington Descent tour only- we may at our absolute discretion charge the following fees: within 7 Days- 25%, within 48 to 24 hours- 50%, or within 24 hours or no show- 100% of booking amount.
If you cancel a booking due to COVID-19:
- Within 7 days of departure and due to you having COVID-19 or symptoms and supported by a medical certificate, or due to border closures inhibiting your ability to travel, we will refund monies paid by you in connection with the booking less any unrecoverable costs.
No refund will be made if: you are not present at your tour’s department time; you join the tour after departure; you leave the tour prior to its completion for any reason; or, you fail to comply with Tasmanian border entry conditions at the time of arrival in Tasmania.
- Cancellations by Us
If we cancel your tour, you can transfer the fare paid towards a tour on an alternate date or alternatively receive a full refund. Refunds will be provided where required by Australian Consumer Law.
In circumstances where a cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance excess or non-refundable flights.
- Itinerary and Price Changes
We reserve the right in our absolute discretion at all times to amend itineraries, inclusions and prices and where necessary cancel departures due to operational reasons, minimum number restrictions or weather conditions. Please note that minimum numbers restrictions apply for all tour departures. If an amendment as aforementioned is to take place, we will try to provide you with reasonable notice.
- Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is NOT INCLUDED in the cost of your tour. It is strongly recommended that you have personal travel insurance sufficient to cover loss or damage to property, illness, injury, or not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure. We are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage, for any injury or loss of any type while on tour.
We are not responsible for any damage, expense or inconvenience caused by late arrival of flights or public transport, change of schedule, strikes, vehicle breakdown, acts of God, or other conditions. We reserve the right to alter the itinerary should it be deemed necessary. We act solely as an agent in securing accommodation and, where applicable, public transport or other services, and are not liable for any loss or inconvenience in the event of any failure by any person or company to render transportation, accommodation or other services.
- Health and Safety
You acknowledge that the nature of the tour is adventure travel and participation involves a degree of personal risk. You agree to advise us prior to commencement of any tour of any pre-existing medical conditions you have which may affect your ability to participate in any part of the tour or other information we need to know to include you safely in the tour or activity. We reserve the right to withdraw any person who in our opinion is likely to endanger themselves or others. We also reserve the right to cancel the day’s touring if we become concerned for any reason for your safety or that of any other person. To the extent permitted by law, all our liability for disruption to travel plans or mental injury is excluded.
- Age and Physical Requirements
A traveller must be minimum age of 8 years at the time of the tour to participate. We have no upper age limit though we remind you our tours can be physically demanding and we expect you to have a reasonable level of fitness and act responsibly to ensure your own safety and the safety of others at all times. Our tours have a component of free walking, all of which is done at your own risk. All travellers under the age of 18 years at time of the tour must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by a responsible escort over the age of 18 years, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or escort of any traveller under the age of 18 years will be responsible for the day-to-day care of travellers in their charge. A legal guardian may apply for an exemption to the age requirements. This application must be made in writing to us and we reserve the right to make any determination in our absolute discretion.
- Optional Activities
Optional activities, as described in the itinerary, are at your own expense, are not included in the price of the tour and do not form part of these terms and conditions. You accept that any assistance given by your guide or any other member of our staff in arranging optional activities does not render us liable for them in any way. The contract for the provision of that activity will be between you and activity provider.