- Accommodation for 4 nights
- Guided commentary
- Guided walks and free walking options
- National Park entry fees
- Pick-ups and drop-offs at selected Hobart CBD locations. Airport Drop offs also available on request
- Additional activity options available (at own expense): Gordon River cruise
Tassie 5 - 5 Day Tasmania Nature and Wildlife Tour
Visit Tasmania’s diverse national parks and wild places over five days. Starting on Tasmania’s East Coast, explore the stunning beaches of Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, and the Bay of Fires. Discover the world-class alpine landscapes and wildlife at Cradle Mountain and the rainforests of the wild West Coast. Our eco-certified small group tour is best suited to guests with a moderate fitness level so you can enjoy the superb walks on offer.
- Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, Cape Tourville
- Bay of Fires, St Helens, Bicheno, St Columba Falls
- Cradle Mountain, Sheffield, Launceston, Cataract Gorge
- Tarkine Rainforest, Montezuma Falls, Henty Dunes, Strahan
- Queenstown, Lake St Clair, Russell Falls, Mount Field National Park
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
HOBART > FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK
Depart Hobart/nipaluna and venture north along the Great Eastern Drive. The highlight today is Tassie’s East Coast jewel, Freycinet National Park. Walk to the famous Wineglass Bay Lookout or down to the curved white sand beach. Or, you may want to try the challenging Mt Amos walk. The views of the pink granite Hazards mountains from Cape Tourville will complete your Freycinet experience. Tonight, we’ll stay in the charming coastal town of Bicheno, where little penguins emerge from the sea at night time.
Overnight | Bicheno
BICHENO > LAUNCESTON
From Bicheno we travel north to the incredible Bay of Fires/larapuna. This is a place of pristine beauty and significance to Tasmanian aboriginal people/palawa. Explore the coastline of white sands, vivid orange boulders and clear waters. After stopping for lunch in St Helens we’ll head inland to see the giant tree ferns at St Columba Falls. Arriving in Launceston, we’ll visit the stunning Cataract Gorge and look for wallabies, before settling into our accommodations.
Overnight | Launceston
CRADLE MOUNTAIN > STRAHAN
The alpine landscapes within Cradle Mountain National Park are a hiker’s dream come true. Choose a challenging walk to Marion’s Lookout or enjoy the less strenuous loop around glacial-carved Dove Lake. We’ll then look for wombats at Ronny Creek. Tonight’s destination is the picturesque harbourside village of Strahan, gateway to the rainforests of the World Heritage Area.
Overnight | Strahan
WILD WEST COAST
First, we’ll take you to discover the natural beauty of the temperate Tarkine Rainforest/takayna where we’ll hike to Tasmania’s highest waterfall, Montezuma Falls. At the coast we’ll explore the expansive Henty Sand Dunes. Or today you can choose to join an optional cruise on the magical Gordon River (own cost). Later in the afternoon, we can breathe the world’s freshest air at Ocean Beach. Back in Strahan, our guide can help you search for platypus.
Overnight | Strahan
STRAHAN > HOBART
Our journey through the Western Wilds eventually leads us back to Hobart. Along the way we’ll stop at Queenstown to glimpse Tassie’s mining history before traversing the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. You’ll stand on the shores of Australia’s deepest freshwater lake, Lake St Clair. At Mt Field National Park we’ll walk among some of the world’s tallest flowering trees and admire the wonderful Russell Falls before completing your tour of Tasmania/lutruwita this afternoon.
This tour offers hostel and motel style accommodation options.
- Motel style accommodations are based on private rooms with ensuite facilities
- If booking Twin or Double accommodation options, a minimum of 2 persons is required. We are unable to match up single travellers into a Twin share option
- Hostel Dorm style accommodation is based on same gender dormitory rooms with shared same-gender bathrooms. Own toiletries and towels are required
- Hostel Twin/Double and Single rooms have shared same-gender bathrooms
Tour Only: from $875.00 (correct as at August 2023 - subject to change)
Pre and post tour accommmodation at YHA Hobart Central is available as an additional cost.
Things You Should Know
What you need to bring:
- Walking Shoes
- Outer wear/ clothing for all climates.
- Rain jacket
- Insect repellent
- The walking in Tasmania is world-class, and we’ve selected beautiful walking experiences for our guests (we include many of the 60-great-short-walks of Tasmania)
- Some walks are guided, while others are unguided (free walking)
- In many locations there is a choice between an easier or more advanced option
- You can make this tour as active or as easy as you like; all walks are optional and range from 20 minutes up to 4 hours
Luggage Limit is 20kg per person. Bring a day pack for essentials.
Cancellations (Fees applied by YHA):
You may be charged the following fees if you cancel your booking before departure:
- 30 days or more: 25% of fare.
- 8 to 29 days: 50% of fare.
- 0 to 7 days: 100% of fare.
- Fees up to $100 may be charged for booking amendments.
Operator Terms and Conditions:
- Acceptance of booking and payments
If we accept your booking, we will issue you with a booking confirmation notice by email. Full payment is required at the time of booking. A contract will exist between you and us from the date we issue the confirmation notice and receipt of your payment.
- Booking changes
If you require a change to your booking, no fees will be charged if changes are made 21 days or more prior to departure. Changes within 21 days of departure are only permitted when operationally possible and fees of up to $95 per amendment may be charged.
- Cancellations by You
We strongly advise you to take out travel insurance which includes cover for cancellation costs.
If you cancel some or all portions of your booking the cancellation terms set out below will apply.
If you cancel a booking:
- 21 days or more prior to departure, we will charge 25% of the total booking amount.
- Within 8 to 20 days prior to departure, we will charge 50% of the booking amount.
- 7 days or fewer prior to departure or no show, we will charge 100% of the booking amount.
- Mt Wellington Descent tour only- we may at our absolute discretion charge the following fees: within 7 Days- 25%, within 48 to 24 hours- 50%, or within 24 hours or no show- 100% of booking amount.
If you cancel a booking due to COVID-19:
- Within 7 days of departure and due to you having COVID-19 or symptoms and supported by a medical certificate, or due to border closures inhibiting your ability to travel, we will refund monies paid by you in connection with the booking less any unrecoverable costs.
No refund will be made if: you are not present at your tour’s department time; you join the tour after departure; you leave the tour prior to its completion for any reason; or, you fail to comply with Tasmanian border entry conditions at the time of arrival in Tasmania.
- Cancellations by Us
If we cancel your tour, you can transfer the fare paid towards a tour on an alternate date or alternatively receive a full refund. Refunds will be provided where required by Australian Consumer Law.
In circumstances where a cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance excess or non-refundable flights.
- Itinerary and Price Changes
We reserve the right in our absolute discretion at all times to amend itineraries, inclusions and prices and where necessary cancel departures due to operational reasons, minimum number restrictions or weather conditions. Please note that minimum numbers restrictions apply for all tour departures. If an amendment as aforementioned is to take place, we will try to provide you with reasonable notice.
- Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is NOT INCLUDED in the cost of your tour. It is strongly recommended that you have personal travel insurance sufficient to cover loss or damage to property, illness, injury, or not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure. We are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage, for any injury or loss of any type while on tour.
We are not responsible for any damage, expense or inconvenience caused by late arrival of flights or public transport, change of schedule, strikes, vehicle breakdown, acts of God, or other conditions. We reserve the right to alter the itinerary should it be deemed necessary. We act solely as an agent in securing accommodation and, where applicable, public transport or other services, and are not liable for any loss or inconvenience in the event of any failure by any person or company to render transportation, accommodation or other services.
- Health and Safety
You acknowledge that the nature of the tour is adventure travel and participation involves a degree of personal risk. You agree to advise us prior to commencement of any tour of any pre-existing medical conditions you have which may affect your ability to participate in any part of the tour or other information we need to know to include you safely in the tour or activity. We reserve the right to withdraw any person who in our opinion is likely to endanger themselves or others. We also reserve the right to cancel the day’s touring if we become concerned for any reason for your safety or that of any other person. To the extent permitted by law, all our liability for disruption to travel plans or mental injury is excluded.
- Age and Physical Requirements
A traveller must be minimum age of 8 years at the time of the tour to participate. We have no upper age limit though we remind you our tours can be physically demanding and we expect you to have a reasonable level of fitness and act responsibly to ensure your own safety and the safety of others at all times. Our tours have a component of free walking, all of which is done at your own risk. All travellers under the age of 18 years at time of the tour must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by a responsible escort over the age of 18 years, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or escort of any traveller under the age of 18 years will be responsible for the day-to-day care of travellers in their charge. A legal guardian may apply for an exemption to the age requirements. This application must be made in writing to us and we reserve the right to make any determination in our absolute discretion.
- Optional Activities
Optional activities, as described in the itinerary, are at your own expense, are not included in the price of the tour and do not form part of these terms and conditions. You accept that any assistance given by your guide or any other member of our staff in arranging optional activities does not render us liable for them in any way. The contract for the provision of that activity will be between you and activity provider.