Brisbane City YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint through a mix of conservation and sustainable practices and services.
Energy/Greenhouse gas reduction:
- Solar Hot Water System which contributed to a 30% reduction in gas usage after implementation
- Low energy lighting used throughout the hostel
- Motion sensor lighting
- Key card activation of lighting and air-conditioning in private rooms
- Air-conditioning controlled by a building management system
- Bathroom exhaust operates only when required
- Unused computers and monitors turned off at night
- Promote the use of public transport
- Bike rental with free bike storage
- Participation in Earth Hour
- Recycling stations in kitchens, lift landings, office areas and all rooms.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans, batteries, clothing and printer cartridges.
- Have a dedicated area for guests to leave things they don’t need but other people might
- Use partially recycled paper in office
- Sell refillable water bottles and fabric shopping bags
- Stopped selling bottled water in vending machines
- Installed bubblers in reception and kitchen for guests to refill water bottles
- Grow a herb garden for guest use
Water Saving measures:
- 80,000 litre on site rain water tank used to flush toilets
- Water efficient taps and showers (3 star WELS rating)
- Dual flush toilets
- Signage in bathrooms encouraging guests to minimise water usage
- Signage in rooms to encourage guests to turn off the lights and air conditioning
- Front loader washing machines
- Drought resistant planting in gardens
Water saving practices at this property reduced overall water consumption by over 780 kilolitres (15%) in 2014 compared to 2013.