Port Elliot YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint through a mix of conservation and sustainable practices and services.
- Energy/Greenhouse gas reduction:
- Low energy lighting used throughout the hostel
- Motion sensor lighting in common areas
- Use partial green energy from electricity supplier
- Promotion of public transport
- Bike rental with free bike storage
- Participate in Earth Hour
- Water Saving measures:
- 4 star WELS rated taps and showers
- Dual flush toilets and waterless urinals
- Drought resistant planting in gardens
- Recycling stations in kitchens and office areas.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans, clothing, batteries and printer cartridges.
- Organic waste collected for composting onsite
- Use partially recycled paper in office
- Sell refillable water bottles
- Sell fabric shopping bags
- Participate in Clean Up Australia
- Onsite vegetable garden