YHA Port Elliot
Important information & operating hours
- Reception hours: 9am-12pm and 3pm-7pm
- Phone: Reception 08 8554 1885. After hours emergency phone 0476 620 802
- Check in is 3pm-7pm.
- Check out by 10am. Please drop key through key return slot at the reception desk.
- Late arrivals: We only allow late check-in with prior arrangement as there is a door code to access the building and we need to provide you with a key to your room. If you need to check-in late, please provide us with contact details (email and phone) and copies of IDs for each of the adults staying. You can email them to email@example.com. Your key will be left at the front desk in an envelope with your name.
- We do not have key cards at our property. All rooms are accessed using physical keys. We have key code locks on all the external doors. The code will be provided at check in and is on a small laminated card on the reception desk for when the office is closed. If you get locked out and can’t remember the code, please call us on the after hours number.
- Towel hire: available for $2
- No sleeping bags or outside linen is allowed to be brought into the property.
- Car parking - There is ample free and safe car parking available on the street in front of the Beach House as well as across the street in a gravel parking lot.
- Bike storage - Bikes can be stored behind the building and in the laundry room. This is not locked.
- Guest Laundry - Available for $4/cycle. The laundry room is located behind the building. Please exit one of the back two doors. The laundry room is available from 12pm-11pm.
- Kitchen & Dining - A fully equipped kitchen is available on the ground floor through the dining room (closes at 11pm). The dining area is on the left side of the building.
- Games room - on the ground floor on the right side of the building.
- Luggage storage - Luggage can be stored before check in and after check out. It is only available for deposit and collection during office hours 9am-12pm and 3pm-7pm.
- WiFi: Free, fast and available throughout the property- simply search and connect to YHA free guest wifi, agree to the t's & c's, fill in a super short survey and you're connected!
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Port Elliot are for guest use only.
Where to eat & drink
- Coffee & Tea - we have basic coffee (barsita coffee coming soon) and tea making supplies in the kitchen. Please help yourself!
- Local restaurants:
- Saigon Memories (Vietnamese)
- Flying Fish café - overlooking Horseshoe Bay
- Hotel Elliot (Pub)
- Salt at the Elliot (Fine dining)
- Royal Family Hotel (Pub – 10% off voucher available at reception)
- Retro Vibe Café (Casual Breakfast and Lunch)
- Cockles Café (Casual Breakfast and Lunch)
- Jelly Café (Casual Breakfast and Lunch) - Use all local and organic ingredients!
- Beaches Café (Casual Breakfast and Lunch – Many vegan options)
- The Chicken Run (local chicken shop/fish and chips)
- Port Elliot SLSC Kiosk (open in summer)
- DeGroot Coffee – at Factory 9
- Harborganics – Delicious Wood fired pizza – Reservations required
- Port Elliot Bakery – Very popular
- Local supermarkets:
- The Friendly Grocer at the top of The Strand is open every day – check online for current opening times!
- Local butcher
- Jetty Food - organic market
- Drakes, Coles, Woolworths and ALDI available in Victor Harbor.
- Nearby areas: Many food options in Encounter Bay, Victor Harbor, Middleton and Goolwa. All areas that are worth exploring. Recommended to make a reservation at most restaurants during busy times of the year.
Getting around - nearby services & attractions
- We are walking distance to all of Port Elliot. There are beautiful local cafes and shops all along the Strand and along Port Elliot Rd as well as walking trails, swimming beaches and parks.
- Local transport:
- Main bus terminal: No bus terminal – The local bus stop is on Port Elliot Rd at the top of The Strand.
- LinkSA Dial-a-ride – A great ride-sharing option with door to door service at the same rates as the local bus.
- Shopping areas:
- The Strand
- Victor Harbor Ocean Street
- Victor Harbor Woolworths Mall
- Main Street Goolwa
Things to do
- Discover and explore South Australia your way - click here for a range of YHA recommended experiences and activities.
- Chat to the team at reception for their local recommendations.
- Bikes, Stand Up Paddleboards (SUPs) and Surfboards available for hire. See reception desk for prices and to make reservations.
- Markets: There are quite a few markets that are held regularly:
- Port Elliot Rotary Markets – 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. 9am-2pm. Located at Lakala Reserve on Young Street, Port Elliot (suspended for Winter (June, July, August)).
- The Victor Harbor Farmers Markets – Every Saturday. 8am-12:30pm. Rain hail or shine! Located at Grosvenor Gardens, Victor Harbor (the rotunda, opposite Victor Harbor Central)
- The Victor Harbor Beachside Markets – 2nd and 4th Sunday. 9am-4pm in summer; 9am - 3pm in winter. The Esplanade, VH.
- Victor Harbor Artisan Market
- Goolwa Wharf Rotary Markets – 1st and 3rd 9am-3pm. Located at Goolwa Wharf, Cutting Road.
- Goolwa Cittaslow Market – 2nd and 4th Sundays from 9:00am-1:00pm (and also on the 5th Sundays when they occur). The market is not held in January. Located at Goolwa Wharf, Cutting Road.
- Willunga Farmers Market – Every Saturday of the month. 8am-12:30pm. Rain hail or shine! Willunga Town Square, Main Road.
- Myponga Market – Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays 9:30am-4pm. Located 46 Main South Road, Myponga.
- Aldinga Bay Markets – 4th Sunday of the month. 11am-3pm. Located at Central Way, Aldinga Shopping Centre.
- Horseshoe bay
- Lakala Reserve
- Victor Harbor nature playground
- Goolwa nature playground
- Whale Season: The Southern Fleurieu coastline is only one of two Southern Right Whale nursery grounds in South Australia. The second is at the Head of the Bight! Whales start arriving in June and are usually gone by the end of October (sometimes mid September) with a peak at the end of July and beginning of August. They can be seen from shore if you know where to look! Book a Whale Tour at the front desk with Alia, our resident marine biologist or grab some binoculars and watch from the shore to the horizon (available at reception).
- Whale Sighting Log - South Australian Whale Centre
- Encounter Whales Sighting Log
- Book a Whale Tour at the front desk with Alia, our resident marine biologist!
- Walking trails:
- Harbormaster Trail - scenic 1.8 km loop strait out our front door
- Encounter Bikeway – 30km bike and pedestrian path from the Bluff to Goolwa
- Granite Island loop in Victor Harbor – Walk along the causeway or hop on the horse drawn tram. Walking train is 2.9 km
- The Bluff – 800m one way
Your safe stay
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- Emergency evacuation details are located on the back of your room door.
- We recommend you secure your bike and lock your car. YHA takes no responsibility for loss, damage or theft of any belongings.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, you're membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts - find out more.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties.
Book your next stay
Looking for work?
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.