YHA Fremantle Prison
Escape lock-up! Just a few minutes’ walk away from this Fremantle hostel will put you in the centre of this vibrant port city. With its colourful Fremantle markets, humming Cappuccino Strip and buzzing nightlife, you’ll fall in love with Fremantle and its charming, untouched 19th century streetscape.
Visit the Maritime Museum, Shipwreck Galleries, take a historic tram ride, watch the spectacular sunset at Fremantle Esplanade, cruise to Rottnest Island, wander the Fishing Boat Harbour for fish and chips and micro breweries, and don’t forget to take a tour of the neighbouring Fremantle Prison! Or take the train for a short ride to Perth City and stunning Western Australia beaches such as Cottesloe!
Fremantle has a diverse range of pubs, clubs, micro breweries and comedy bars which are always bustling with happy people. Music is everywhere in Fremantle with constant street performers and live music shows.
Things to do in Fremantle
- Taste the passion for beer at the Little Creatures brewery one of Australia's most popular and iconic beer brands.
- Uncover the intriguing history of the Freemantle port and the rest of WA sea vessels at the WA Shipwrecks Museum.
- Fremantle Markets houses a family of stallholders from encouraging young local talent such as designers and artists, launching the careers of budding musicians including John Butler to creating a hub of events for visitors.
- Explore Fremantle Prison, one of Western Australia's premier cultural heritage sites and tourist attractions- and you're going to be staying there! Have a look around and check out the variety of different tours that run.
- For the price of a gold coin, uncover Fremantle's extensive history at the Roundhouse. The first permanent building built back when Fremantle was a colony in 1831. Plus, it has great views of the beach and ocean.
- Hit the beach! YHA Fremantle Prison is super close to both Bathers Beach - only a 10-minute walk - and South Beach - a five-minute ride on the free CAT bus - so grab your bathers, towel and sunscreen and enjoy day in the sun.