Fremantle Prison YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint through a mix of conservation and sustainable practices and services. After all, what is more impressive than recycling a building.
Energy/Greenhouse gas reduction:
- Low energy lighting used throughout the hostel
- Motion sensor lighting
- Key card activation of lighting and air-conditioning in private rooms
- Bathroom exhaust operates only when required
- Unused computers and monitors turned off at night
- Promote the use of public transport
- Participate in earth hour
- Recycling stations in kitchens, office areas and all rooms.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans, batteries, and clothing and printer cartridges.
- Have a dedicated area for guests to leave things they don’t need but other people might
- Use partially recycled paper in office
- Installed bubblers in reception and kitchen for guests to refill water bottles
- Grow a herb garden for guest use
Water Saving measures:
- Water efficient taps and showers (3 star WELS rating)
- Dual flush toilets
- Signage in bathrooms encouraging guests to minimise water usage
- Signage in rooms to encourage guests to turn off the lights and air conditioning
- Front loader washing machines
- Drought resistant plants
- Automated irrigation for garden turned off in winter to reduce water use