- Australian Hostels
- Tours & Experiences
1. Take a walk around the world famous Sydney Opera House.
2. Admire Sydney’s icon, the stunning Sydney Harbour Bridge.
3. Take a guided tour of the Royal Botanical Gardens.
4. See Government House, where the colony’s early rulers worked.
5. Check out a masterpiece at the NSW Art Gallery.
6. Visit the amazing Museum of Contemporary Art.
7. Snap the ultimate Opera House photo from Mrs. Macquarie’s Chair.
8. Explore Sydney’s relationship with the sea at the National Maritime Museum.
9. Take a walking tour with the staff at the most popular Sydney Central YHA hostel.
10. Stroll around Olympic Park and see all the venues from the 2000 Olympic Games.
11. Relax in the sauna during your stay at Sydney Central YHA.
12. Discover Sydney’s industrial heritage on the “Port” historical walking tour.
13. Head bush and enjoy the awesome Spit Bridge to Manly walk.
14. Enjoy a free show with the street performers at Circular Quay.
15. Listen to some didgeridoo playing from buskers at Circular Quay.
16. Take some time to plan your Australian trip with the Backpacker Bucketlist.
17. Visit the beautiful and historic St Mary’s Cathedral.
18. Browse the art and craft stalls at Paddington Markets.
19. Stroll around the fascinating Fish Markets, the 2nd largest in the world.
20. Watch a movie in Sydney Central YHA’s own cinema.
21. Do the stunning cliff top walk from Coogee to Bondi with the staff at the only hostel in The Rocks.
22. Visit St James’ Church; the oldest in Sydney.
23. Dance your socks off at Sydney Central YHA’s salsa night!
24. Visit the historic Sydney Observatory.
25. Stop in at the QVB, one of the most beautiful shopping centres in the world.
26. Cover the city in a stride at the 3D city model at the Customs House.
27. See the history of trade at the Customs House.
28. Discover the history of Sydney’s diverse peoples on the “Community” historical walking tour.
29. Go for a body surf at Manly Beach.
30. Discover early history at St Stephens’ Church and Cemetery in Newtown.
31. Head to Darling Harbour. There’s always something going on.
32. Check out one of the exhibitions at the State Library of NSW.
33. Stop by Sydney Harbour YHA for a 1-hour tour of The Big Dig Archaeology site.
34. See and be seen at the world famous Bondi Beach.
35. Visit the studio of Brett Whitley, one of Sydney’s most famous artists.
36. Compete in the Wii Olympics down at Sydney Central YHA.
37. Discover industrial history at the Brickpit Ring Walk, Olympic Park.
38. Explore the huge parklands and gardens at Centennial Park.
39. Spot the bird life amongst the mangroves at Bicentennial Park, Homebush.
40. Follow the Writer’s Walk along Circular Quay.
41. See the elegant War Memorial in Hyde Park.
42. Mingle with the crowds at Paddy’s Markets.
43. Discover the bohemian suburb of Glebe on the “Preservation” historical walking tour.
44. Sizzle up a feast with the free electric BBQ's in Centennial Park.
45. Let it all hang out at Lady Bay, Sydney’s only nudist beach.
46. Window shop till you drop at Bondi Junction shopping mall.
47. See/hear/smell thousands of Fruit Bats in the Botanical Gardens.
48. Take out a board game from Sydney Central YHA reception and challenge a friend.
49. Visit The Mint, where Australia’s first coins were produced.
50. Lose yourself in the atmospheric laneways in The Rocks.
Image: Mark Seabury Photography
51. Take your snorkel and say hello to the fish at Clovelly.
52. Borrow a soccer ball from the guys at Cronulla Beach YHA and head to the beach for a game.
53. Play spot-the-celebrity at Woolloomooloo wharf.
54. Drop in to Cadman’s Cottage, the oldest residential building in Australia.
55. Stroll down historic Macquarie Street and admire the Georgian and Victorian architecture.
56. Spot a possum in the Avenue of Figs, Hyde Park.
57. Discover the wild side of Sydney on the “Passion” historical walking tour.
58. Take a dip in Sydney Central YHA’s pool.
59. See ancient aboriginal art at Dobroyd Head.
60. Mix with the high rollers at Star City Casino (only free if you win!)
61. Discover amazing contemporary Aboriginal art at the Art Gallery NSW.
62. See up and coming artists at Soho Gallery.
63. Enjoy some art on the way to the beach at Manly Art Gallery and Museum.
64. Discover all about Australia’s bank notes at the Museum of Australian Currency Notes.
65. Travel like the Victorians at the Sydney Tramway Museum.
66. Stroll the Hogwarts-esque lawns of Sydney University.
67. See the largest collection of ancient artefacts in Australia at the Nicholson Museum.
68. Visit the fascinating Macleay Museum.
69. Visit Sydney's Town Hall, the most ornate late 19th century civic building in Australia.
70. Discover the roots of alternative Oxford Street on the “Parade” historical walking tour.
71. Sunbathe on the rooftop at Bondi Beachouse YHA.
72. See the tomb of Australia’s first saint at Mary Mackillop Place.
73. Explore the magnificent funerary memorials at Rookwood Necropolis.
74. Relax among the formal gardens of Centennial Park.
75. See how the first settlers lived at The Rocks Discovery Museum.
76. Visit the Garrison Gallery, Historical & Military Museum.
77. Take a Saturday stroll around the quirky Glebe Markets.
78. Attend a didgeridoo concert at the Outback Centre, Darling Harbour.
79. Experience some military history at Newington Armory.
80. Walk along the bustling Parramatta river at Blaxland Riverside Park.
81. Bring out your inner soap star at Palm Beach, site of Home and Away.
82. See work by one of Australia’s most popular modern artists at the Ken Done Gallery.
83. See how the kids lived at the Old School House Museum, Parramatta.
84. Cook up a storm with food from the free food shelves at your YHA.
85. Discover the early history of the city on the “Colony” historical walking tour.
86. Challenge the locals to a game of chess on the giant board in Hyde Park.
87. Browse the late night bookshops on Oxford Street.
88. Chat to your hostel roommates.
89. See graves with a view at Waverley Cemetery.
90. Check out a lifeguard demonstration at Bondi Beach.
91. Chat with the cockatoos at the Botanical Gardens.
92. Transport yourself to Asia in Cabramatta, Sydney’s “Little Vietnam”.
93. Walk the boardwalks through the mangroves at Sydney Olympic Park.
94. Discover Parramatta with the Harris Park Heritage Walk.
95. Look out for whales from the cliffs at Dover Heights.
96. Visit the Macquarie Lighthouse, Australia’s oldest.
97. Walk across the Harbour Bridge and wave to the climbers above you.
98. Discover Sydney’s retail history on the Commerce Walking Tour of Historic Buildings.
99. Splash around in the rock pools at Coogee.
100. Walk to the entrance to Sydney Harbour at The Gap.
101. Meet your new best friend at your local YHA hostels.