Our sustainability projects
Recent sustainability projects
We’re proud of how we care for our earth at YHA and are always looking for the chance to help make our hostels more sustainable at every opportunity. Through partial funding through the Sustainable Properties Fund, we have launched hostel-specific sustainability initiatives, which has sponsored nearly $30,000 of projects across our hostel network so far.
Award-winning YHA Grampians Eco now powers its hot water by sunlight, thanks to your donation to the Sustainable Properties Fund. Combined with already established waste minimisation practices including composting and a very happy chicken family on-site, YHA Grampians Eco is paving the way forward for sustainability as they continue to work closely with the Halls Gap community to support local wildlife care, provide work experience for students interested in the tourism and travel industry, and save water across the property with drought resistant gardens.
We’re invested in creating sustainable properties for years to come and with your help we can continue to build a kinder, greener future.
Past sustainability projects
The Sustainable Properties Fund has helped install solar hot water systems at Adelaide Central, Byron Bay, Brisbane City, Railway Square, Grampians, Cairns Central and Pittwater, to power your shower with sunlight!
Donations to the fund have also helped install photovoltaic arrays to produce solar power in sun-baked Alice Springs (2012), Sydney Central (2018) and Perth (2014 - property now closed), reducing carbon emissions by more than 40 tonnes a year.
- YHA Sydney Harbour installed a 30kW solar system in 2016 to help power the building, 50% funded by the Sustainable Properties Fund. The solar panels saved almost four tonnes of carbon emissions within a month of being switched on!
- YHA Stradbroke Island got shiny solar new solar panels thanks to the Sustainable Properties Fund, soaking up the sweet energy of the Queensland Sun to provide hot water and energy to the property.
Small changes, big differences
It takes changes large and small to make a difference and across the network and we continue to support our properties increase their sustainability. Additional to the Sustainable Properties Fund, YHA Australia funds small hostel-specific sustainability programmes each year. These programs are led by the initiative of our YHA properties, where teams know what they need most to help create a more sustainable future. Our most recent projects included water saving, social sustainability programs, waste minimisation and more:
- YHA Adelaide Central installed water saving taps across their group accommodation rooms
- YHA Blue Mountains – Katoomba worked with the local council and local businesses to craft an ‘eco island’ to separate waste, recycling, compost and more, and forwarding funds raised from recycling bottles and cans to local charities
- YHA Sydney Harbour continues to lead the charge for sustainability, partnering with the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney to offer tours lead by Indigenous leaders free of charge throughout 2019-20, educating guests on the rich First Nations history of Sydney
Whether it’s creating a herb garden or installing solar panels, there’s much more we look forward to in years to come.
Sustainability at YHA
Properties across our network feature energy-efficient and water-saving features like solar panels, rainwater tanks and recycling facilities.
Sign up to YHA Australia
Get monthly inspiration for your next adventure in Australia.
Book direct and save
By booking direct with MyYHA you'll receive our exclusive discounted rates. Sign up or login to get 10% off at select properties.