YHA Melbourne Central
Important information & operating hours
- Our team is available 24/7. If reception is unattended when you need us, please call 0429 589 791.
- This is a CARD only property (no cash payments accepted).
- Check in is anytime after 2pm. If you are arriving after 11pm please notify the property ahead of time.
- Check out is until 10am. Please bring down all white linen and towels to reception, leaving your pillow and doona in the room.
- Key card access is required for property entry between 6pm and 7am - if assistance needed for entry please call 0429 589 791.
- Key card access is also required for entrance to each level and female toilets.
- Want to stay longer? Extend at reception to stay in the same room for the best rates!
- Look after your key- replacement fees apply for lost or damaged keys. All keys must be returned at check- out. If you forget, no worries - keys can be mailed to us or returned to your nearest YHA.
- No sleeping bags or outside linen is allowed to be brought into the property.
- No on-site car parking available, however there is on-street parking as well as multi-storey carparks in close proximity to the property.
- Bike storage is available.
- Ground floor: Reception, bar, kitchen, TV room (8am-10pm) and lockers.
- Level 1: Guest Laundry: Washing machines and dryers take coins which you can get from reception, washing is $3, drying is $2 for a 30min cycle, laundry powder is available from reception for $1.
- Level 5: Rooftop with BBQ area (please note level 5 is closed between 11pm and 7am).
- Level 1: Balcony
- Luggage storage: is available at ground floor with electronic lockers that can be paid cash or via card. Cost is dependent on size of locker and duration of use. Ranging from $3 for a small locker for 4 hours up to a large locker for $11 for 24 hrs)
- WiFi: Free, fast and available throughout the property- simply search and connect to YHA free guest wifi, agree to the t&c's, fill in a super short survey and you're connected!
- Outlets and USB chargers available in various co-living areas of the property.
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Melbourne Central are for guest use only.
Where to eat & drink
- In-house café - open for Breakfast 7:30am-10:30am 7-days a week.
- In-house bar - open 12pm-11pm 7-days a week.
- Breakfast can be added to your reservation for $12.
- Our guest kitchen is located on the ground floor. Please ensure that you label your food and store neatly in lockers and fridges provided. This is a shared facility, please leave it clean for the next user by washing, drying, putting away your dishes and wiping down the area you used.
- Supermarkets Woolworths and Coles are located at Southern Cross Station (5min walk).
- A convenience store is also located next door.
- Visit Southbank for various café, restaurants and bar options (10min walk).
- Chinatown has low-cost restaurant options (15-20min walk).
Getting around - nearby services & attractions
For information of local transport, including timetables and journey planner visit Public Transport Victoria or chat to one of our helpful team members.
- Free Tram Zone in Melbourne CBD + use of Myki Public Transport card for all other services in Melbourne as well as trams outside the Free Tram Zone, can be purchased at train stations and convenience stores or added to a phone via Google/iPhone wallet.
- Main bus terminal is located at Southern Cross and Flinder Street Stations.
- Closest stadium is Marvel Stadium (11min walk).
- Shopping areas: DFO Docklands, Bourke Street Mall, The Strand Melbourne, Melbourne Central, Queen Victoria Market.
- All major banks and department stores are located in the CBD.
Things to do
Melbourne is known for being one of the most liveable cities on earth. Often referred to as ‘the Sporting Capital of the World’, besides this it is also famous for its graffitied laneways, excellent coffee, cultural diversity and bayside location. The perfect Melbourne adventure to explore all this starts with us at YHA Melbourne Central!
- Discover and explore Melbourne your way - click here for a range of YHA recommended experiences and activities.
- Chat to the team at reception or see our activities board for activities happening at the property during your stay.
- Language Exchange events every Wednesday - enquire at reception.
- Table tennis tournaments every friday - enquire at reception.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, your membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties. Find out more.
We are passionate about operating sustainably. When you book with us, you are choosing one of the most environmentally sustainable types of accommodation. Staying with YHA helps minimise your carbon footprint while travelling. We are proud to offer:
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas
- Dedicated space to give second hand goods, clothing, food and more, new life when our guests are heading off on their next adventure.
- We don't have plastic bottles or plastic bags on site but do have reusable bottles and shopping bags for sale.
Your safe stay
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- Emergency evacuation details are located on the back of your room door.
Book your next stay
Looking for work?
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.