Cape Byron YHA is committed to making a more sustainable planet. We aim to reduce our footprint through more sustainable practices. We Participate in Earth Hour each year, raise money for our oceans and want to see a more sustainable future! Some of our commitments include:
- We have just made a huge commitment to increasing recycling. Sustainability experts Cool Planet have conducted a business waste assessment. We have made an investment into a new waste management system and committed to reducing landfill.
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans, batteries and printer cartridges.
- Use recycled paper in office and toilet paper in bathrooms
- Bottled water no longer sold on the premises
- Bag sharing station for going to the supermarket
- 75,000 bottles/cans and plastic bottled recycled Jan 18 – Jan 19
- A Solar Heated pool using roof mounted solar heating system and, with pool cover in winter to keep the pool heated for our guests and the onsite dive centre.
- There are signs on all light and fan switches to promote power saving as well as using power saving light bulbs throughout the hostel.
- Computers and monitors turned are off at night
- Use and promotion of public transport Australia wide
- Mesh fridge bags available to rent or buy to reduce energy consumption in the fridge
- Water reducing shower heads
- Promoting minimal water use within the hostel.
- Dual flush toilets (3/6 litre)
- No water used in gardens
- Fundraising box for Positive Change For Marine Life
- Lost property donated to charity
- Sheets donated to local emergency housing charity
- Sign in the kitchen for donations of dry and tined food for Byron Bay’s Liberation Larder