YHA Pittwater Eco (Sydney)
Important information & operating hours
- Property is accessible by boat or foot only.
- Reception hours are between 8am - 5pm. Please feel free to call, text or organise activities at any point during these hours - Katie & Bergia: 0436 808 528 (number should only be used out of hours for emergencies).
- Check-in is between 1pm - 8pm. Let us know what time to expect you so we are close by when you arrive. No early check-ins unless with prior approval. Arrival in daylight hours is highly recommended.
- Check-out is until 10:30am. Only pre-approved requests for late checkout will be able to stay beyond this time.
- When checking out:
- leave your room/the property clean and as you found it;
- place all rented linen in the orange bags outside reception;
- settle all payments owed at reception at least 1 hour before departure;
- dispose of all rubbish and take all belongings with you;
- empty your things from the fridge - do not leave anything unless approved by reception;
- put the red flag up at Hall's Wharf so the ferry will stop for you.
- When checking out:
- We ask that there is no amplified/excessive noise after 10pm out of respect for our neighbours and wildlife.
- No sleeping bags allowed to be brought into the property.
- By car or bike:
- Head to Church Point ferry wharf. You can get here via Pittwater Road or McCarr's Creek Road. This is as far as you can go with a vehicle, you will then have to cross the water by ferry or water taxi.
- There is paid parking directly at Church Point ferry wharf, just outside the Pasadena.
- For free, untimed parking, search Google Maps for Bakers Road, Church Point.
- Approx. 10-15min walk from the ferry wharf, so we suggest dropping your food, luggage and passengers at the wharf before parking.
- By public transport:
- From the city to Church Point ferry wharf:
- B-line B1 from Wynyard Station (Carrington Avenue) > Mona Vale > 156 from Barrenjoey Road, Village Park > Church Point Wharf
- From Palm Beach to Church Point ferry wharf:
- 199 from Ocean Road to Barrenjoey Rd opp. Village Park, Mona Vale > 156 from Barrenjoey Road, Village Park > Church Point Wharf
- You can also use Uber or Keoride from Mona Vale to Church Point ferry wharf.
- From the city to Church Point ferry wharf:
- By foot:
- Via West Head Road and the Towlers Bay trail.
- This is a hike through the bush on steep and uneven ground.
- Do not attempt if you are unprepared or plan to arrive around or after sunset.
- Approx. 1-2hrs from the parking point at West Head Road, depending on level of fitness.
- Advise reception if you plan to arrive this way so assistance can be provided in the case of an emergency.
- By personal boat:
- There are two courtesy moorings in Morning Bay which allow 24hr use.
- From Church Point wharf:
- Catch the Church Point ferry to Hall's Wharf.
- Tickets are purchased on board.
- Trips are limited, please check ferry timetable.
- For trips outside ferry times, you can catch a Pink Water taxi 0428 238 190 (4-6 people approx. $30). Services stop between 8pm-10pm.
- At Halls' Wharf:
- Take a 10-15min walk along a firetrail to the property (some steep hills) and then follow the signs to find us.
- Keep noise to a minimum when walking from the wharf to the property.
- Stay on path and do not wander into adjacent properties (our neighbours).
What makes us an eco property?
Due to our remoteness, our unique location and our drive for environmental sustainability, our property works alongside nature in as many ways as possible:
- All water used on property is sourced from a local stream or rain water;
- Water is precious which is why we ask you to have brief showers and bring your own linen when possible. Providing everyone with sheets means that we need to get our laundry done offsite;
- Electricity is supplied by solar power from our own rooftop as well as community rooftops. We encourage our guests to only use lights when needed;
- All fruit and vegetable scraps are composted at the property and guests are encouraged to recycle everything possible. We choose sustainable products to run our property and even takeaway cups are reusable and returnable to ensure they don't end up in landfill;
- We limit waste, particularly plastics which can get into our waterways and wreak havoc, recycle all paper, cardboard and containers and soft plastics;
- Ask that our guests don't leave any litter when out exploring;
- We collect and dispose of any rubbish we find on our walks or paddles to help protect our amazing flora and fauna;
- Check out our short video showcasing how sustainable living is a necessary fact of daily life at YHA Pittwater Eco.
- Wheel barrows for bringing supplies up to the property
- Co-living kitchen
- Outdoor dining
- What we provide (items marked with * are charged):
- linen and towels*
- doona, mattress protector, spare blankets
- fridge, bowls, plates, cutlery, utensils, oven
- tea, sugar, cooking oil, salt and pepper
- espresso coffee*
- cold drinks*
- double kayaks and stand-up paddleboards*
- lawn games*
- yoga mats*
- board games
- book collection
- NO freezer, vehicle or TV
- WiFi: due to location, our internet/wifu signal can be hindered by bad weather or local issues. If you are totally dependent on internet, we encourage you to bring a personal hotspot.
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Pittwater Eco are for guest use only.
Food & drink
- Feel free to text through any coffee orders the evening before or just before 8am and will begin preparing them at 8am. We use the Green Caffeen program if you would like a takeaway coffee.
- Catering services can be arranged for your stay (must be arranged and paid for at least 10 days prior to arrival):
- Fruit platters and cheese boards
- Light or full catering
- Please be mindful of the amount of packaging and disposables you bring.
- We encourage you to bring fresh fruit and vegetables (scraps can be composted), reusable bags, and reusable containers for food preparation whenever possible and practicable.
Things to do
- Weekly cleanups on the Northern Beaches.
- Regenerative activities, like tree-planting and removal of invasive species, in and around the property.
- Relax in a hammock with a good book.
- Be immersed in nature - there is plenty to explore by both land and water.
- Take a stand-up paddleboard for a spin to some secret waterfalls.
- Look out for wildlife at your doorstep, from swamp wallabies to goannas, to echidnas and a huge variety of birdlife. We ask you to respect our native friends whilst you're here by keeping excessive noise to a minimum, and never feeding the wildlife or leaving food out they could access.
- Activities that can be arranged for your stay (must be arranged and paid for at least 10 days prior to arrival):
- Guided Kayak or SUP tours
- SUP technique and confidence lessons
- Guided bushwalks
- Yoga classes and mindfullness sessions
- Massage treatments
- Check out Pittwater Eco Adventures for more
Your safe stay
- When leaving the property for any activities during your stay, simply add your name, plans and expected return time to the noticeboard or send us a text so we can ensure we provide the best care if anything happens.
- It is not safe to be intoxicated at this property, as we are in a remote location surrounded by water and bush, which can make it easier to get lost and more difficult for emergency services to get to.
- Drugs are strictly prohibited.
- Ensure that fires in firepit are completely extinguished, ovens and stoves are off when not in use and no open flames, incense or candles are used indoors.
- If in a group - assign one person to act on behalf of your group to make communication between us easier.
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- Emergency evacuation details are located on the back of your room door.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, you're membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties. Find out more.
Book your next stay
Looking for work?
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.