Brisbane City YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint through a mix of conservation and sustainable practices and services. Initiatives include:
Energy/Greenhouse gas reduction:
- Solar hot water has reduced our gas usage by over 30% since its installation!
- Low energy and timed lighting: no need for lights on in empty rooms
- Private rooms hold the key… for keycard activation of lighting and air-conditioning
- Speaking of air-con, ours is controlled centrally for maximum efficiency!
- Promote the use of public transport, the easiest way to be eco-friendly. Keen to get more active? Hire a bike or store your own for free!
- Participate in Earth Hour
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas to recycle anything from printer cartridges or our recycled office paper, to tinnies of beer and plastic containers
- Dedicate sharing centre, one person unwanted goods are another person’s treasure
- Sell refillable water bottles and fabric shopping bags, no bottled water here – fill up your water bottle at our bubblers!
- Spice up your life with our on-site herb garden
Water Saving measures:
- 80,000 litre on site rain water tank used to flush toilets
- Our toilets and showers are 3 star! Well, WELS 3 stars for water efficiency
- Signage in bathrooms encouraging guests to minimise water usage
- Front loader washing machines, they save hundreds of litres each year!
- Drought resistant planting in gardens
Water saving practices at this property reduced overall water consumption by over 780 kilolitres (15%) in 2014 compared to 2013.