Up north, we can see plenty of reasons to live sustainably. Who wouldn’t want to protect our beautiful rainforests and coral reefs?! Partnering with our local community, the team at Cairns Central YHA is proud to be a sustainable hostel.
- Solar hot water for wonderfully warm washes!
- Low energy bulbs keep our hostel well lit, but doesn’t cost the earth
- Promoting the use of public transport, the easiest way to be eco-friendly
- Bathroom exhaust operated only when required, who needs fans on in an empty room?
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas to recycle anything from printer cartridges to our recycled paper, to tinnies of beer, old clothes, and plastic containers
- Our swap station gives second-hand goods new life!
- No plastic bottles or plastic bags on site, we only sell reusable
- Spice up your life with our on-site herb and veggie garden!
Water Saving Measures:
- Rainwater tank on site used to flush toilets and water our drought-resistant gardens, hooray for water saving!
- Our toilets and showers are 3 star! Well, WELS 3 stars for water efficiency.
- Signage in bathrooms encouraging guests to minimise water usage