YHA Cairns Central
Important information & operating hours
- Our team is available 7am-10pm.
- Check in is anytime after 2pm.
- If you are arriving after hours, please use the call button located at the pedestrian gates.
- Check out is until 10am. Please bring down all white linen and towels to reception, leaving your pillow and doona in the room.
- We are a licensed premises - no BYO alcohol is permitted.
- Want to stay longer? Extend at reception to stay in the same room for the best rates!
- Key card access is required for property entry at night as well as bathrooms, reading room, front gate and guest laundry.
- Look after your key - replacement fees apply for lost or damaged keys. All keys must be returned at check- out. If you forget, no worries- keys can be mailed to us or returned to your nearest YHA.
- No sleeping bags or outside linen is allowed to be brought into the property.
- Persons under 18 are not permitted to stay at this property unless they are part of a group or staying with a responsible adult (private room accommodation only).
- Car Parking is available for $10 a day.
- Bike storage is provided free of charge. We recommend you secure your bike with a high quality lock.
- YHA takes no responsibility for loss, damage or theft of belongings.
- Guest Laundry: Washing machines cost $4 per load
- Kitchen & dining area located on ground floor
- Reading room on ground floor
- Pool on ground floor
- Luggage storage is available at reception (free).
- WiFi: Free, fast and available throughout the property- simply search and connect to YHA free guest wifi, agree to the t's & c's, fill in a super short survey and you're connected!
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Cairns Central are for guest use only.
Where to eat & drink
- The property has a range of drinks available for guests to purchase (non-alcoholic & alcoholic).
- Breakfast is available daily for $12.
- Guest kitchen: Please ensure that you label your food and store neatly in lockers and fridges provided. This is a shared facility, please leave it clean for the next user by washing, drying, putting away your dishes and wiping down the area you used.
- The local supermarket is located across the road from property.
- A range of cafes, restaurants and bars are a short 5-10min walk from the property.
Getting around - nearby services & attractions
For information of local transport, including timetables and journey planner visit Translink or chat to one of our helpful team members.
- Main bus and train interchange on Bunda St Train Station is 300m from YHA Cairns Central.
- The closest supermarket is Coles, located in the complex across the road from the property.
- Cairns Central Shopping Centre is directly across the road:
- medical centre
- retail shops
- Hire an e-scooter, located right outside the gates to the property. Find out more and download the Beem app.
Things to do
- Enquire at reception (or follow us on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates) for more details about the following activities available for guests at YHA Cairns Central:
- Monday | BBQ night
- Tuesday | Pool competition
- Wednesday | Community & Culture night*
- Thursday | Trivia night
- Friday | Beer pong
- Saturday | Local pub crawl
- Sunday | Movies under the stars by the pool (cast your vote on our Insta stories)
*events include Indigenous Cultural night, Wallaby counts, Aboriginal art lessons, beach clean-up/plastics sorting)
- Discover and explore Cairns your way - click here for a range of YHA recommended experiences and activities.
- Chat to the team at reception or see our activities board for activities happening at the property during your stay.
Your safe stay
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- Emergency evacuation details are located on the back of your room door.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, your membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties. Find out more.
We are passionate about operating sustainably. When you book with us, you are choosing one of the most environmentally sustainable types of accommodation. Staying with YHA helps minimise your carbon footprint while travelling. Visit our sustainability page here. We are proud to offer:
- Solar hot water.
- Low energy lighting.
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas
- We don't have plastic bottles or plastic bags on site.
Book your next stay
Looking for work?
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.