YHA Hobart Central
Important information & operating hours
- Reception hours:
- Summer 8am-10pm
- Winter Mon-Fri 8:30am-9pm Sat-Sun 8am-10pm
- There is someone on site 24/7.
- Check in is anytime after 2pm. If your room is available before this time, we would be happy to check you in earlier. If this is not possible, we can store your luggage for free while you explore the city and you are welcome to use the facilities of the property until check in time.
- Late arrivals: Please call 0428 508 760 or (scan the QR code for self online check in).
- Check out is until 10am. Please take your pillowcase, bed sheet, doona cover and towels and place in the basket in your room.
- Want to stay longer? Extend at reception to stay in the same room for the best rates!
- No sleeping bags or outside linen is allowed to be brought into the property.
- No lift access: YHA Hobart Central does not have a lift. Staff can assist with luggage if required.
- Car Parking: Free street parking is available outside the property between 6pm and 8:30am. Outside of these hours parking is for 1 hour and is metered. There is a secure multi-storey car park located at the Woolworths shopping complex (2 minutes' walk). Otherwise, if you head to Secure Parking and put in our address (9 Argyle Street, Hobart) it will give you a list of nearby parking and prices. Free parking options are located around a 20 minutes' walk from the property; we can direct you to these on check in.
- Bike storage is provided free of charge on the ground level (outside the building). We recommend you secure your bike with a high-quality lock.
- YHA takes no responsibility for loss, damage or theft of belongings.
- Guest Laundry: Located at ground level (next to kitchen) $3 washing machine, $4 dryer, $1 washing powder (ask reception), we can help with change. Open 2pm-8pm.
- TV room on first floor (next to room 111).
- Kitchen & dining: Our Kitchen is on ground level - small and cozy, seating for 6. If you need more seats, you are more than welcome to seat at reception or dine in the co-living lounge.
- Co-working space on third floor.
- WiFi: Free, fast and available throughout the property- simply search and connect to YHA free guest wifi, agree to the t's & c's, fill in a super short survey and you're connected!
- All areas are open 24/7, but please do not use to sleep overnight or charges will be applied.
- Luggage storage | Available for GUESTS ONLY. Free on arrival and departure days.
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Hobart Central are for guest use only.
Where to eat & drink
- Our guest kitchen is located on ground level. Please ensure that you label your food and store neatly in lockers and fridges provided. This is a shared facility, please leave it clean for the next user by washing, drying, putting away your dishes and wiping down the area you used.
- You can have your food at the TV room if you would like, please make sure to bring your dishes down and leave the place nice and tidy.
- Local supermarkets: Wellington Centre is located at the corner of Argyle Street and Liverpool Street (less than 5 min waling) and is home to Woolworths supermarket (open everyday from 7am- 10pm), and a variety of takeaways, cafes, and restaurants.
- Waterfront is 2 minutes walking, there are few options of restaurants and a beautiful view.
- Reception has a board with restaurant options.
Getting around - nearby services & attractions
- Local transport: Metro Bus station is in front of Franklin Square, in the corner of Elizabeth Street and Macquarie Street. You don’t need to buy the bus card (green card) the Buses accept small notes and change. The bus drivers do not appreciate large notes.
- Main bus terminal: Macquarie Street and Elizabeth Street- less than 3min walking distance from Hobart Central YHA.
- To & From Airport: The most economic option for travelling to and from the airport is Skybus. The timetable is updated regularly to meet the latest flight schedules. Tickets are $19 each one way, return $36. Tickets are bought online, at reception or at a kiosk and are valid for any bus that day. There are several different bus stops spread out across Hobart.
Things to do
Your safe stay
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- Emergency evacuation details are located on the back of your room door.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, your membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties. Find out more.
We are passionate about operating sustainably. When you book with us, you are choosing one of the most environmentally sustainable types of accommodation. Staying with YHA helps minimise your carbon footprint while travelling.
Book your next stay
Looking for work?
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.