YHA Grampians Eco (Halls Gap)
Important information & operating hours
- Reception is open 8:30am - 10am & 4pm - 7pm. If reception is closed and you need us, don’t hesitate to call or message 0447 432 644.
- Check in is 4pm - 7pm. If you're arriving after 7pm please notify the property, by phone or email, ahead of time to make arrangements.
- Check out is until 10am. On your last morning please take your sheets, pillow cases and doona covers off your beds and place them in the relevant basket at the foot of the stairs. When you check-out, you should have a receipt emailed to you and also an email asking you to provide feedback on your stay – we’ll always appreciate your feedback!
- Want to stay longer? Extend at reception for the best rates!
- An access code to the property will be on your room key and also sent to you the morning of your arrival.
- Look after your key - replacement fees apply for lost or damaged keys (local locksmith charges are $40 for a replacement, a cost that is passed on to the guest). All keys must be returned at check out. If you forget, no worries - keys can be mailed to us or returned to your nearest YHA.
- No sleeping bags or outside linen is allowed to be brought into the property.
- If you forget anything else in your room, please note that we charge a $5 handling fee when posting your items back to you. We keep lost and found items at reception.
- To keep out unwanted guests, of the insect and reptile kind, please make sure that doors remain shut at all times!
- Bathrooms are cleaned daily between 10am and 11.30am – we appreciate guests limiting the use of these facilities during this time.
- Please keep noise to a minimum in the accommodation wing after dark.
- Car parking: there's plenty! If the front car park is full on your arrival, there is more parking out the back (on Warren Road). Please do not park on the front lawn.
- Bike storage: Have a chat to the Managers about using their back yard.
- Guest Laundry: on ground floor and available for guest use in the afternoons (once daily use by management is completed). Cost is $4 ($1 coins only) per washing and $3 per drier use. Guests can utilise the clothesline at the western end of the accommodation wing.
- There are two lounges, two guest kitchens, dining area, an extensive front yard and side courtyard for guest use:
- Enjoy two beautifully spacious and relaxing lounge rooms (both with wood fires for winter - to be managed by Management only)
- The eastern lounge has a TV and we ask guests to be considerate of others when making viewing choices.
- Please let us know if any of the items that we supply in the kitchens (coffee, tea, sugar, Glad Wrap, alfoil) has run out, and we’ll replace it promptly.
- Please, no meals or drinks in your bedrooms – we’ve got an extensive dining area for you to use.
- Guests are welcome to make use of the herb garden just outside the western lounge.
- Have an Aussie BBQ - we have two BBQ’s for guest use (see us at reception for utensils).
- Luggage storage: please ask at reception if you require anything stored securely.
- WiFi: Free, fast and available throughout the property- simply search and connect to YHA free guest wifi, agree to the t's & c's, fill in a super short survey and you're connected!
- YHA takes no responsibility for loss, damage or theft of belongings.
- We are committed to providing a safe stay for our guests; all areas of YHA Grampians Eco (Halls Gap) are for guest use only.
Where to eat & drink
- Guest kitchen: Please ensure that you label your food and store neatly in the wooden boxes and fridges provided. This is a shared facility, please leave it clean for the next user by washing, drying, putting away your dishes and wiping down the area you used.
- We have a small shop at reception where you can buy a small handful of items, but nothing that you could make a meal from! (You can also try the free shelf in the kitchen).
- There is a supermarket in the Halls Gap town centre, a ten minute walk from the property or a two minute drive. If you’re after a little more range and choice, there is an IGA and Woolworths in Stawell, 25km to the east.
- There are a number of options for meals in the Halls Gap township. Here are Tara & BJ's favourites (you might just need to extend your stay to try them all!):
- Flame Brothers – without much doubt, the most popular restaurant in town. A carnivores heaven – but there are vegetarian options.
- Paper Scissors Rock – the micro-brewery in the main street. Lovely meals, and lovely beers too.
- Kookaburra Hotel – our personal favourite for evening meals, just south of the main street.
- Moco Gallery – down by Lake Bellfield, our personal favourite for when we need a bite through the day. Play a round of adventure golf while you’re there!
- Halls Gap Hotel – we’ve always had lovely meals here.
- Spirit of Punjab – our Indian restaurant. If you dine in, you’ll likely be served by their waiter robot!
- The Views Restaurant – nice meals at the Grampians Motel, just south of the main town centre.
- Barney’s Bar - a ten minute drive from Halls Gap, Barney’s Bar at Pomonal is a great little galvanised iron pub with a friendly, welcoming atmosphere. We love it!
- Halls Gap Tavern – pub meals just south of the main street.
- Black Panther Café
- Livefast Café
- The Town Frier – the fish and chip shop in the main street.
- Brambuk Café – a small café forming part of the National Park visitor information centre operations.
- Roccalto Pizzeria – Halls Gap’s own Italian woodfired pizza restaurant, a delight in summer!
- Most importantly, there are the Gelato Guys (locally made produce) and Coola’s – if you’re going to punish yourself on the mountains of the Grampians, surely you deserve an ice cream!
- If you’re after some local wines and don’t want to go out driving, you can also visit the Grampians Wine Cellar in Heath Street, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Getting around - nearby services & attractions
- We are a mere ten minute walk from Halls Gap’s main street, or a two minute drive.
- Getting around the Grampians can be hard if you don’t have a car. Ask at Reception for our rough guide to getting around the Grampians without a car.
- Most buses leave outside the Tourist Information Centre in the main street, but a good number also depart from a closer bus stop, about 200m south from the YHA on Grampians Road. You may want to confirm this with the bus operator.
Things to do
- We’re happy to help you with ideas for drives and walks in the Grampians. Plus, you can also buy yourself a copy of the Grampians Walks book, a thorough description of all of the walks that you can do in the Grampians, or a copy of the Wonderland Walks brochure.
- If you’re looking for something to do with the kids but aren’t really in the mood to scale a mountain, have you tried geocaching? It’s great fun, and all you need is a smart phone, the Geocaching app and a minor sense of adventure! And, to top that all off, there’s even a geocache in our grounds!
- Relax in the grounds and soak up the atmosphere with a locally set novel - available for purchase at Recepton.
- Meet Michelle, Simone, Emma, Justine, Maria, Samantha and Evoletah - our friends of the feathered variety! Our chickens are beautiful, and live at night just to the west of the property. We take them out behind the laundry through the day so that they can free range – if you have little ones that want to help us walk them around (or back in the afternoon), please come and let us know at reception!
- If you do go for a walk on your own, please complete the bushwalk register adjacent the reception desk. We check that every evening.
Your safe stay
- We are committed to providing a safe place for our team and our guests and take our house rules seriously. If you encounter any fellow guests who aren't behaving in line with our code of conduct, or you feel uncomfortable or unsafe please report this to our team immediately. We are here to help you.
- Covid safety continues to remain a top priority for us, here are the measures in place.
- In the unlikely event of an emergency, you’ll find emergency instructions in your room, but in short – the evacuation gathering point is the front garden (outside the dining area).
- Please, no candles and most certainly, no smoking on the property.
- If this is your first stay with YHA Australia, you will receive membership as part of your stay, free of charge!
- If you've stayed with us before, your membership has been renewed at no additonal cost, for 2 years from your check-in date.
- YHA Membership entitles you to some great deals on tours, transport, activities, and even retail discounts.
- As part of YHA Australia's connection to Hostelling International (HI) this card is valid all around the world, giving you the best available rate at more than 3,000 properties. Find out more.
We are passionate about operating sustainably. When you book with us, you are choosing one of the most environmentally sustainable types of accommodation. Staying with YHA helps minimise your carbon footprint while travelling. Visit our sustainability page here. We are proud to offer:
- Solar hot water.
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas.
- Dedicated space to give second hand goods, clothing, food and more, new life when our guests are heading off on their next adventure.
- Be sure to leave any edible food waste in the blue buckets in the kitchen
Book your next stay
Did you know that you can hire the entire property (or half) for exclusive use! Contact the property if you would like to know more. It’s certainly a popular option for family get togethers, for corporate planning events, school camps and even pre-season training for football clubs.
Ready to book your next getaway or the next stop on your travels? Check out our great property destinations around the country and be sure to login in to yha.com.au to get the best price for your next stay!
Looking for work?
You can register to volunteer at our property for free accommodation. Help us with up to two hours of volunteer work a day (give or take) and you can have a co-living space (traditionally called a dorm bed)
There are jobs aplenty in the Halls Gap township, so you can volunteer with us in the morning, explore the National Park in the afternoon, and work in your evenings! Speak to us at reception for more details.
Check out Y-Jobs, our exclusive jobs board which has great work opportunities for working holiday makers across Australia.