COVID-19: Safe stay measures are in in place at all properties. YHA are following all state-based travel restrictions.

How to extend your working holiday in Australia

From 1 July 2019, Working Holiday Makers in Australia can now get a visa for up to three years.

In good news for those looking to stretch their time and travel budget in Australia, Working Holiday Makers from the age of 18-30 can now get a visa for up to three years.

A regular Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is valid for up to one year. However, you can apply for a second Working Holiday visa, valid for a further 12 months, if during the first year you work in a regional, primary industry (for example, doing farm work) for three months (88 days).

There are lots of options across Australia to do agricultural work, from picking mangoes in the Top End to pruning vines in the Margaret River region of Western Australia.

To extend your stay even longer, from 1 July 2019, if you’re on a Working Holiday visa, you can apply for a third year visa. All you need to do is undertake six more months of a "specified" type of work in a regional area during your second year. For all the latest information on visas, click here.

YHA offers the perfect base for your Working Holiday, as there is always something in season around the country - from fruit picking and packing in orchards around Dunsborough in Western Australia, to picking blueberries in Coffs Harbour on the New South Wales coast. You can even do this work while staying in the city - in Canberra, you can work in vineyards in the countryside around the nation's capital!

Check out YHAs across the country here and YHA’s specific information for Working Holiday Makers here.

badge image


YHA acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia. We acknowledge and pay our respects to Elders past, present, emerging and the extended Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island community.