Enjoying the snow doesn’t require buckets of cash!
We all know skiing and boarding can be super expensive, right? If you don’t have your own massive 4WD, private chalet and all the latest gear it can be a tad daunting (to say the least). But with a bit of careful planning and maybe just a touch of being a shameless cheapskate, you’ll make it to ‘snowy wonderland’ without blowing your budget.
In Australia, high in Kosciuszko National Park, in the heart of the Snowy Mountains, Thredbo is the place to get snow-cialising this season. Delivering the goods – Thredbo is the oldest ski resort in Australia, celebrating over 60 years with long runs great for everyone, from beginners right through to those black diamond show-offs!
1. GETTING THERE FOR LESS
Image Credit: Thredbo Resort
Use public transport to arrive in Thredbo. Bussing it down or carpooling with your mates is the first way to save a bundle. Either sort out an affordable bus fare with companies like Greyhound or Firefly, or it’s an easy peasy drive from Sydney and Canberra – just pack some A+ car snacks, have a playlist sorted and get your petrol well before you reach the mountains while prices are lower to save even more!
2. TICKET DISCOUNTS, PLEASE!
Image Credit: Thredbo Resort
- The biggest expense on the mountains is hands-down your ski pass, but there are some ways you can save on those too. Skiing in the shoulder season is a gamble with how much snow coverage there’ll actually be, but if there’s an early or late season snow dump, you’re laughing! There are four key date ranges throughout the season, so choose the one that presents the best value for you. Key dates and further information available HERE! Thredbo really encourages you to ‘Buy Early & Save’ – if you buy your lift ticket and organise lessons and rental gear at least seven days in advance you can score up to 20% off.
- Will you be staying in the village for a few extra days? If so, refer to our 'What's On In Thredbo 2019' Calendar for specific event dates and all the juicy details. Basically, if you ride more you can save more, so consider buying a multi-day pass, rather than a new pass each day. AND the savings extend to kids under 18 years too! Thredbo offers discounted kids pricing for everyone under the age of 18, as well as Kids Ski Free – when an adult buys one of the eligible three or five day passes, a child under 18 gets their lift pass FREE. There are a few conditions around this promotion so it’s worth checking the fine print online (click HERE for more details).
3. CHEAPER EATS AND MOUNTAIN TREATS
Save some money and cook yourself a few meals in the Thredbo YHA kitchen.
- There are loads of food options on the mountain to tempt your dollars from your wallet, but be sure to plan ahead and you can save money here too! Start your day with a hearty bacon and egg roll and coffee at Friday Flat, or perhaps a pastry from The Bakery in the Village Square. For lunch take a break from the mountain and try Kebabz Café for a big, hearty kebab in a second, or maybe a salad roll from The Bakery if you’re feeling healthy. After your big day on the slopes is over, the reward should always be a hot doughnut (or three) at the bottom of Friday Flat, coupled with a beer at the River Inn outdoor terrace. Cheaper dining options are hard to find, but Alfresco Pizza is always a winner with good pizza at fair prices, including the all-important BYO. The lively Thredbo Pub also serves up some bulky, quality counter meals before you kick on at Schuss Bar or Keller Bar.
- Better yet, spread your food dollar even further by planning a few self-catered meals using the Thredbo YHA kitchen. Just make sure to pick up any groceries and supplies well before you reach the village. Don’t let a little budget hold you back this season – first tracks are still within reach. If all else fails, there’s always two-minute noodles which go down a treat for the truly hard-core budget, powder hounds.
4. WHERE TO STAY?
Unrivalled prices at Thredbo YHA.
Thredbo YHA offers affordable accommodation right in the village. Conveniently located in the heart of Australia’s Snowy Mountains, just a short stroll from the iconic Thredbo Ski Resort. Slide off the slopes and into our award-winning YHA, boasting picturesque mountain views, comfy lounge and dining area, full kitchen facilities, free Wi-Fi, as well as a large drying room to sort out your ski gear each night and the best value bed with a range of dorms and private rooms to choose from. BOOK AHEAD as it’s very popular!
FINAL NOTE: YHA is sweetening the deal by offering 20% off pre or post-Thredbo YHA accommodation at Canberra City YHA! Terms and conditions apply. Contact the team HERE for further details (wink, wink).