Travel resolutions to start the year off right
Get into gear for an unforgettable road trip Down Under! Whether you're roaring down a pictueresque coastal highway or careening along a bumpy outback track, Australia's vast network of roads will take you to all four corners of the country, and nothing beats the freedom of the open road.
- Why Apollo Bay is more than a Great Ocean Road pitstop
- West is best: The perfect Perth to Broome road trip itinerary
- Due north: Your guide to an epic Brisbane to Cairns road trip
Image: Tourism and Events Queensland
Experience Australia’s wildlife like you've never seen them before. Forget caged critters and canned animal encounters – make it your mission to see some of the unique, diverse fauna of this fascinating continent the way nature intended: in their natural habitat. Just don't be upset if you set out to spot a koala and end up finding adventure instead.
- The top whale watching spots in Australia
- Unusual Aussie animals and where to find them
- A brief guide to responsible wildlife encounters
Image: Tourism Tasmania & Rob Burnett
You've dived the Great Barrier Reef, you've seen Uluru, and the Sydney Opera House has signs telling staff to turn you away at the door. But there's plenty more to discover Down Under than just the tourist favourites, especially when you've already been there and done that. Make this the year you break free of the tried and tested, and discover something truly unusual.
- Weird and wonderful natural phenomena in Australia
- 9 Aboriginal sacred places you should visit (and one you shouldn't!)
- Why you should visit Australia's Everglades
Image: Pierre Destribats
Underpinned by decades of migration and millenia of First Nations culture, Australia is a wonderfully colourful and diverse country with an impressive array of festivals held each year. From remote Indigenous dance festivals to buzzing international film extravaganzas, there's a festive flavour for everyone, and we're willing to bet you haven't tried them all.
- First Nations festivals around Australia
- The top LGBTQIA+ festivals and events around Australia
- The top arts and culture festivals in Australia
Image: Tourism and Events Queensland
Life getting a bit too hectic? Spending too much time for comfort with your eyes glued to a screen? Time to hit the reset button, and nothing mends a tired and frazzled mind better than the great outdoors. Dust off those walking boots, shake out those creaky legs and make this year the year you really get back to nature.
- Great Australian walks
- 11 awesome canoeing and kayaking adventures in Australia
- The most beautiful places in Australia
Image: Tourism Australia
Not to get too philosphical, but are you even really alive if you're not making human connections? Luckily, travel has a knack for helping you meet new people – and really adventurous, awesome people, too! There are so many incredible chance encounters and new best friends to be found through travel – whether it be on the beach, on the bus, or around a YHA barbecue. Go on, don't be shy – get out there!
- An introvert's guide to making friends while travelling
- 10 things you learn about yourself while travelling solo
- 50 conversation starters that are less boring than, 'So where are you from?'
Okay, maybe 2023 wasn't the best year; it happens to the best of us. The good news is 2024 is a fresh start, and it might just be the perfect opportunity to make a change and turn over a new leaf. Climate anxiety? Travel better. Depressing nine-to-five? Find your next dream job. Cabin fever? Take your life on the road and get exploring. Put your best foot forward and take that step – we believe in you!
- Make a positive impact on your next trip
- Find a new career path with Y-Jobs
- Work away from the office at Y-Hive coworking spaces
It goes without saying that YHA is here to help fulfil your travel dreams in 2024. We've introduced continental breakfast at select properties and there are also some great weekly rates available throughout the year. Whether you're looking for a coastal stay, a city experience or an inland adventure, YHA has a place for you.